A Guide for changing a clutch?

• 2 weeks later...

Theres a rough guide i found with a 2 second browse on google.Pretty much apply's to any car you want to change a clutch in.There all basically the same.

If its youre first clutch job, get a mate at the ready for when you lift it back up as its easier with 4 hands to lift and slide the box back on.

Buy a universal clutch alignment tool from halfrauds for about a tenner, its a tool you use to line the clutch disc up with the pressure plate off of the car, bolt them both together when there lined up and lift the complete unit onto the flywheel.Bolt the clutch assembly to the flywheel, unbolt the tool and fit the box back on.

Once youve done it once, it becomes a piece of piss my freind :lol:

Get the front of the car up as high as possible on either ramps or stands, make sure its secured safely obviously.

And another thing, when you remove the gear linkages, put tags on which connect to which, and once there unbolted DONT change the gear from neutral! Otherwise you'll slap it in 1st and fly off backwards :lol: not that thats what i did a few years back on my first clutch :lol:

If you care to wait a couple of weeks, ill be putting a guide up on here on how to change a clutch and flywheel..Im just waiting on a decent'ish weekend weather wise.

Craig.

Theres a rough guide i found with a 2 second browse on google.Pretty much apply's to any car you want to change a clutch in.There all basically the same.

If its youre first clutch job, get a mate at the ready for when you lift it back up as its easier with 4 hands to lift and slide the box back on.

Buy a universal clutch alignment tool from halfrauds for about a tenner, its a tool you use to line the clutch disc up with the pressure plate off of the car, bolt them both together when there lined up and lift the complete unit onto the flywheel.Bolt the clutch assembly to the flywheel, unbolt the tool and fit the box back on.

Once youve done it once, it becomes a piece of piss my freind :lol:

Get the front of the car up as high as possible on either ramps or stands, make sure its secured safely obviously.

And another thing, when you remove the gear linkages, put tags on which connect to which, and once there unbolted DONT change the gear from neutral! Otherwise you'll slap it in 1st and fly off backwards :o not that thats what i did a few years back on my first clutch :lol:

If you care to wait a couple of weeks, ill be putting a guide up on here on how to change a clutch and flywheel..Im just waiting on a decent'ish weekend weather wise.

Craig.

Lets hope for better weather. Be a real handy 'how to do' :lol:

doesnt matter, both have the same principle just line them up right....otherwise everything goes breaky breaky apart from that support the engine n gearbox at all times n have some1 with abit of muscle around you/someone to help you lift the box back up n align it

doesnt matter, both have the same principle just line them up right....otherwise everything goes breaky breaky apart from that support the engine n gearbox at all times n have some1 with abit of muscle around you/someone to help you lift the box back up n align it

Yeah as above.

My new clutch setups a paddle, moving from an organic which ive 100% mullered now :p

hey guys thanks for the reply but I've managed it now lol.. first time and it took me about 10 hours lol, the right tools really would have made the difference but i removed more than i needed too... hardest bit was my brothers done a clutch change at college and bolted the clutch in place when i was at work n told me it was centered, spent 3 hours trying to get the box on to find out it was about 3 mm off lol... so once realigned i built a mini lifter with a old scissor jack and would, bolted it to the middle of the box and used that to lift it, then about a hour later the box was in lol... but yeah i reckon i could do it again in about 3 hours now..

Basic guide that i would use to do this again:

Remove battery and air filter box

Remove all the parts connected to the top of the gearbox, you can see it all pretty clearly, think theres about 5 things that need unbolting and just push to the side of the engine

Next jack up the front of the car as high as poss..

Remove both wheels

Undo the suspension shock from the hub, 2 bolts on the shock and 2 nuts and a bolt undrneath the disc, undo the metal clip on the rubber guard on the driveshaft which enters the gearbox, and pull the whole assemble out in 1 piece..

Put a jack under the gearbox

Remove the 2 engine/gearbox mounts, one passenger side, one about where the 2nd cat sits.

Remove 7 bolts from the front of the gearbox this includes the starter motor bolts and theres one from behind the gearbox next to the starter motor, this 1 i couldnt see n caused me probs lol.

Next a few taps with a rubber mallet and a few tugs the boxs shoul pop off, just watch as its held on by a few dowels about 1cm long.

Thats pretty much it, lol hope this helps a few..

cheers