Will i be gainin BHP from this?

hi all

when they take the BHP figure of the engine in the factory from new, do they do it with the engine just on a system, or when its in the car and on a road?

reason am askin, ive taken the power steering pump and ac pump of my 4efte, and my mate reckons they would sap about 3-5 bhp each. is he accurate with this? and if so thats like sayin the lump wud technicaly be an extra 6-10 bhp more than the standard 4efte?!

cheers

I wouldnt bother mate....if its your daily driver keep P/S by all means remove air con.

EDIT- youve already taken it out....hmm imo little gain you could have just removed air con even thats mainly because of weight people remove

Get rid of the air con but leave the power steering. Trust me it is rock hard without it. You will see some form of improvement as well. The air con is powered by a belt so even when it is off it is sapping power and torque from your engine. Not much when it's off but every little bit counts. it's the torque where you mainly see the difference. Me and Markoos took the a/c out of his car and he said it was a good difference.

I don't have it so i couldn't really say but trust us, get rid of the a/c. Weighs a ton as well.

Bourkey

mmmm I'm not sure, when we took the Power steering off of the track civic it felt so much better, you could feel directly what was going on instead of what a motor wanted you to feel IE smoothness (IMO shit you want it rower), and yer its solid when your not moving so harder maneuvers. but that what all cars used to be like, just go to the gym more, or do more 3 point turns lol. but i guess it's down to what i always say it depends on what YOU want

lol ive got an NA wiv no power steering and no aircon, i go gym 4 times a week and i never ever have a problem with turning it! maybe i didnt spell it out rite! its an na, and ive just brought a turbo engine, but i dont have power steering or ac so i removed em both. to be onest the steering is light as any way and i never hav difficulty turning it on the spot. so with both off i shud see sum gain over standard, but not a lot is what ure saying

• 2 weeks later...

On some car's (probably not starlets) if you remove the PAS you can cause problems to the UJ and steering column, because they weren't designed to take the higher loads.

It's rumoured some manufacturers used to test there engines on an engine dyno with nothing else connected. In honesty i think the manufacturers will be able to accurately predict the output of 1 of there engines without even building it.

I'm not sure you'll notice such a massive improvement probably more a mental thing, but in the lower gears it could make a slight difference.