Car not able to keep up with my driving.

i have a 95 n/a starlet.

i drive it to the top but the other day something went wrong,its either the head gasket or the fan belt.(hope its just the belt)

the car is in the garage need to ring them tomorrow.

is there any options to keep the car cooler and gain some power?

thanks in advance , puma. :D

For more power, free flowing air filter and exhaust, different injectors etc.

What went wrong? what makes you think its the head gasket or fan belt?

was bombing it down back roads and the car temp went near the red so i slowed down to let it cool down.

all seemed fine then the temp went into the red and the light for the battery not charging came.

the alternator must not be working.

then i pulled the car in and there was coolant all over the place.the car now sounds like a tractor.

Im sure it couldnt just have been the head gasket mate they are put together tighter than a nuns bum hole the timing belt is a possibility (when was it last done? as you say you drive it hard it may have snapped?)....also possible the thermostat dint open up and caused failure? what was the temp like? as for mods what have you currently got??

corolla inlet mani?

decent filter?

adv ignit timing?

uprated outlet mani?

as for running "cooler" get a thermostat which opens up at a lower temp, air diversion plate (not sure how much it helps tho)

P.s they dont have a "fan belt" :D

EDIT: EPIC EPIC FAIL MATE, you should have stopped as soon as it when any where near red anything above half (if its not on a track) is bad for an N/A. Also the battery the alt belt must have snapped,

Im sure it couldnt just have been the head gasket mate they are put together tighter than a nuns bum hole the timing belt is a possibility (when was it last done? as you say you drive it hard it may have snapped?)....also possible the thermostat dint open up and caused failure? what was the temp like? as for mods what have you currently got??

corolla inlet mani?

decent filter?

adv ignit timing?

uprated outlet mani?

as for running "cooler" get a thermostat which opens up at a lower temp, air diversion plate (not sure how much it helps tho)

P.s they dont have a "fan belt" :D

EDIT: EPIC EPIC FAIL MATE, you should have stopped as soon as it when any where near red anything above half (if its not on a track) is bad for an N/A. Also the battery the alt belt must have snapped,

just saying what mechanic said(fan belt).i meant the alternator belt.

i did stop too let the engine cool down by the way lol.

the car was serviced a few months ago and has only done 400 miles since.

as for the snapping there was a sqeaking sound but no bang are anything.

all that has been done to the car is a induction kit and the fuel injectors.

thanks for the advice.

please help me more i am only young and this is my first car and i love the thing but the car can't keep up lol.

You need a new mechanic.....the fan is driven by an electric motor.

if you stopped and got it recoverd home change the thermo stat/cheked things out you would have been ok mate....now i guess the heads warped and its taking in water and the rings must have gone (the tractor noise)

uprated injectors? which ones r you using? supporting mods?

Sorry if i sound harsh mate but...the car cant keep up? elaborate?

Sounds like the fan belt has snapped and the car has overheated as the waterpump wasn't being driven (this is done via the fan belt).

Depending on how long and hard you have driven it without adequate cooling you could be looking at a fanbelt or a fanbelt plus repairs to the cooling system (possible headgasket). If it were me I'd pop a belt on and see if it behaves itself.

Hope that makes sense bud,

Jay

thanks jay.

ya was driving the car for a good bit at about 80-90 mph.

its in the garage at the mo.

he does not charge much as my family uses him also its so hard to get parts for starlets do you have this problem?

You need a new mechanic.....the fan is driven by an electric motor.

if you stopped and got it recoverd home change the thermo stat/cheked things out you would have been ok mate....now i guess the heads warped and its taking in water and the rings must have gone (the tractor noise)

uprated injectors? which ones r you using? supporting mods?

Sorry if i sound harsh mate but...the car cant keep up? elaborate?

i dove to the garage about one mile away.

not uprated just new ones.the car was sitting around untouched for two years there was a lot of work put into the car.

would show u a picture but to not have my phone at the mo.

Legend ^^ theres the fault! i apologise if i sounded like a dik :D

try some of the traders on here, any specific parts?

well i know fuck all abut tunning to be honest.

only 17.

so need as much help as i can.

in Ireland there is little or no performance parts for starlets just lots of parts for civics :D

thanks once again.

No worries mate.....again im sorry :D

how much did the injectors set you back? brand new?

nothing a mate of mine knows someone and they did all the work on the car.

they work for Toyota which was very handy.

would talk to him more but hes too far.

At those speeds/operating temperatures you may have cooked the engine.

First thing to go is usually the headgasket. Symptoms include misfiring, running off a cylinder, oil in the water, water in the oil and visual leaks between the head and block. As you mentioned the subaru sound I'd guess it's down a cylinder so it doesn't sound like a fanbelt will fix her unfortunately.

It's standard procedure to skim the cylinder head so as it's flat (heat can warp the head) before replacing the headgasket and rebuilding the engine. This doesn't cover any other damage you might find in the course of repairs so be prepared.

If your mechanic is happy to replace it head to Toyota and get a full engine gasket kit. This will give you all the gaskets and seals you will need including the headgasket itself. Headbolts are best replaced as a precaution as well so a set of them will do no harm too.

Keep us posted on how you fare buddy,

Jay

thanks jay. seems all doom and gloom :D my poor car.was driving alright when i was bringing it to the garage did not seem under powered just the tractor sound.

Seems like you was very lucky then!!

Just keep an eye on it still might have damaged the head or gasket

i do not think so because the car still had its full power when i was bring it to the garage.the mechanic had a a quick quick around got a new belt and some anti freeze.will be picking the car up soon.

:D thanks for all the help again.