Found a starlet i want to buy

I have found a starlet that i want but am quite concerned because when it idles you can hear little tapping noises is this normal it has about 95k miles on clock also it is a auto. also when idling the steering wheel shakes lightly it could be tunning or an engine mount has broken please help need to know if i should pursue this one. any answers will be apprieciated.

first off whats the price, its quite comon for the stearing wheel to shake on autos.

wish i could come down and hear the tapping noise, is it really loud?

Thanks Enzo for you quick reply. it feels like the revs are high almost like the choke is always on. the car is in perfect condition working out a deal with him to part ex my bm he will give me some extra parts aswell about 2k its going for. its not loud but when you open the bonnet you can hear it tapping away. bearing in mind it has done almost 95k miles. its it worth it how long do these engines last????

it would be if your after a starlet and its standard, i would not be scared of 95k but i would be all over the engine, like a hawk to see signs of it being maintainted,

the hi reving on idle another normal auto trait too mines is like that and the tapping noises, if i interprit you right, this should be normal, im fairly sure they are self adjusting tappets, but some eps do have a slight tapping noise, nothing out of the ordinary for that mileage, also ask the seller if he has every changed the oil in the auto box?

next time you view the car check that the thermostat is working as it should and there is hot air coming out of the heater,

it would be if your after a starlet and its standard, i would not be scared of 95k but i would be all over the engine, like a hawk to see signs of it being maintainted,

the hi reving on idle another normal auto trait too mines is like that and the tapping noises, if i interprit you right, this should be normal, im fairly sure they are self adjusting tappets, but some eps do have a slight tapping noise, nothing out of the ordinary for that mileage, also ask the seller if he has every changed the oil in the auto box?

next time you view the car check that the thermostat is working as it should and there is hot air coming out of the heater,

Yeah the heater was working fine i havent asked him about the oil in the auto box. the interior in the car is also very tidy. the only thing is that he said he tried to change the light beind the dials and he snapped the petrol needle and that no longer works. what else should i be looking out for.

All Starlet engines are tappy. My n/a engine used to do it with 95k on the clock and my new 4EFTE does it with 6k on the clock. It's usually the noisey injectors. They are very tappy.

Bourkey

thanks guys u are a real help. i might just do the deal tonite then. fingers crossed

Go for it mate.. mine has just over 64k miles and makes a slight tapping noise when cold.. My golf used to do it and it was easily solved by a good engine flush then oil and oil filter change.. :rolleyes:

Thanks thats what my golf sounded like aswell.

I am really worried about buying my first Glanza because this is a really good car and i would kill myself if i got a dud one. also i will be swapping my BM for it aswell. he will be getting a good deal from it but as were in recession i car prices just dropped. need more convincing. or somebody to put my mind as ease.

also quick question the cluster the fuel needle dont work would that be an easy fix?????????

Depends mate.. if its just the needle/gauge itself then not too much of a biggie.. Im not sure how the fuel is measured from the tank so cant give advice on what else it could be.. Its only a minor fault tho hopefully nothing to worry about..

Get some pics up if u can, altho when i bought my car the bodywork wasnt really top of my list for things to look out for.. a good solid engine was my top priority..

Aslong as its not puffing any smoke and not making any other wierd strange noise that just doesnt sound right then i was happy..

Good luck buddy

Depends mate.. if its just the needle/gauge itself then not too much of a biggie.. Im not sure how the fuel is measured from the tank so cant give advice on what else it could be.. Its only a minor fault tho hopefully nothing to worry about..

Get some pics up if u can, altho when i bought my car the bodywork wasnt really top of my list for things to look out for.. a good solid engine was my top priority..

Aslong as its not puffing any smoke and not making any other wierd strange noise that just doesnt sound right then i was happy..

Good luck buddy

deal fell through. so still looking for a glanza.

I really need to sell my bmw 328ci 1999 if anybody wants to do a swap im up for it.!!! pm me let me know.

got any pics of the bimmer?

what type of prices did you have in mind?

ok the bm is silver has a little dent on rear quarter can be fixed for 200 maybe less, just want enough to buy a glanza. with couple of hundred on top depending on conditon of glanza.

Knew i seen it somewhere, copied from the TGTT.com buyers guide

A light tappity noise from the fuel rail area is common on the 4EFTE. It's the idle stabilization valve clicking on the end of the intake manifold.