Collection no claims on a car you dont own any more?

I've just been scheeming away for the last few month thinking about getting a V

But with the insurance being quite high n me only playing 500 on the N/A with 1 years no claims

I was thinking as the SR's insurance is all paid for if i didnt tell the insurace company id sold the car (when i get round to it)

Then keeping on the insurance of that (despite it not being in my possesion) and taking out a new policy on a V is that legal?

As my insurance on the SR isnt due for renewal until November and my insurancy company wont insure anything Jap and i dont want to throw away like 6 months no claims But theres no way im going to be able to hold off getting a V for that long

So my question to you UKSC is:

Is it illegal for me to collect an extra 6 months or so no claims on a car i no longer own if i still hav an insurance policy on it?

If not may hav to give my car to my younger sister to learn to drive in although id get no money for it then as she's got no job and no real source of money to buy a car with.... :s

Yes it is illegal.

When you sell a car, and the next person takes out insurance. Their insurance company can tell that theres already insurance on that car.

And your insurance company will then know that someone else is insuring that car, so therefor your insurance is void.

This kinda situation happened to me with my first car. Half way through the year I swapped for something else, but my insurers wouldn't insure it so I lost 6 months no claims and had to start a whole new year.

Unfortunatly, looks like the only way you can do it is to let your sister have it. But still, she would need to insure it to drive it. (Unless your 21 and have been driving for 3 years?)

Im 21 so could do it but then got my sister driving round on my insurance learning which sounds scary

Think i might just have to chuck in the 6 months tbh

Might as wel just save like my life depended on it and try get one asap then just pay the insurance out monthly instread of in one go.

Cheers for the info girley :lol:

ya mate its one of the main principles of insurance, you must own the item your insuring like you couldnt insure your neighbours house for him or anything like that of course its not as clear cut as that all the time but thats the jist