I Want Cheap And Cheerful Power!

hi all,

i'd like to get around the 160 bhp mark on my starlet.. and i have no idea whats the cheapist way of getting there on these engines, could you guys give some advise to get to that sort of mark? im knolageable to a certain extent. ive rebuilt my fair share of old VW engines, but im not to clued up when it comes to forced induction.

i sont really have a set budget, im not made of money, i'd just be saving up and buying the bits each month.

cheers all,

Will.

just thaught i'd add, my engine has done about 70,000 miles.. and is pritty damb healthy.. never missed a beat. and always treated well, make sure its fully warm before using boost.

it currently has a hks air filter. and a cat-back stainless exhuast system.

Stock is ~133.....so 160 would be an easy goal

boost gauge (should be first mod for any turbo car)

tt/hks actuator (better/stronger springs than std)

decat

mani (std one is restrictive on the 3rd runner)

mabe even a EBC set at 0.80/0.85 (just before fuel cut) think you can use this even with a std actuator

port the wastegate

think that should see the gains you want....anyone feel free to add/take :)

will certainly be gettin a boost gauge first, may get slated for this but.. whats an EBC?

also, ive been lokoing on ebay for ep82 stuff.. not the best place to start i know. but ive seen a manifold on there for 89quid.. but im obviously weary.. but the next step up seems to be over the 200 mark. where can i get a good balance of cost/quality for a manifold?

will certainly be gettin a boost gauge first, may get slated for this but.. whats an EBC?

also, ive been lokoing on ebay for ep82 stuff.. not the best place to start i know. but ive seen a manifold on there for 89quid.. but im obviously weary.. but the next step up seems to be over the 200 mark. where can i get a good balance of cost/quality for a manifold?

do it cheap do it twice mate.

and EBC is a electronic boost controller it allows you to set the boost level manually

those manifolds on ebay are autobahn and will crack in a week of driving there shite!

if you want a good manifold get a mild steal one of one of the traders either on here ot toyotagtturbo they wont crack and will give better gains.

if you want 160 bhp get:

Full exhaust

Decat

Manifold

Front mount intercooler

Up rated actuator and maybe EBC

that will see around 160 :)

I have a EBC for sale if you are interested

http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/index....showtopic=19255

• 6 months later...

for 160 its easy

before you do anything give it a good service change filters, oil, plugs ect alot of people forget this

free up everything your stock engine has so many restrictions and heat soaks you dont have to do much to get it to your goal

free flowing mani aftermarket-gutted one they are the same gains on a low bhp engine

decat

front mount

actuator

boost gauge

cat back exhaust

relocated air filter cheap to make

thats just the basics with some sort of fuel management and a hybrid you could see close to 200 all with a good a tune :harhar: