Hey,

While going uphill at 30, i give it a little bit of extra gas and let go i hear a rattle/pinging noise.....had my old man in the car and he said its pinking (something about the fuel) also on idle theres just a constant ticking noise (under the bay its in/near the dizzy cap) goes away when revved comes back at idle.

its had a new clutch + bearing about 7k ago no oil burning no nothing and service about 300miles ago......

my guess? is when the ignition timing was advanced it was "overdone" so to say

what to do?

Probs not the cure for your problem but, i had a ticking noise from under my bonnet and it was because a couple of the spark plugs where slightly loose once tightened the ticking when away.

Not sure whether this will help in the slighest......

Matt

I adjusted it slightly......it got worse :)

see if i can get hold of a timing light and set it up properly i dont want to use it but i need the car :lol::lol:

am i right in thinking

retarding = towards the bulkhead

adv = toward you?

do it with engine on at operating temp?

any more tips greatly appreciated friends :lol:

Got it slightly better today......

could really do with a timing light anyone near manchester have one i can borrow? any advice on which to get off ebay?

Sorted the timing out (10 mark) can still hear slight pinging at WOT in 2nd+....any advice on what else to do?

spark plugs are new, done about 500 miles (could the driving around when the pinging was louder cause them to go bad?)

new dizzy and arm will be on soon

expensive in the long run....but use better fuel such as V or super?

it did throw error code 14 i cleaned the dizzy and all of the tb and reset it, fingers crossed it doesn`t come back

In light of recent events i`d advise ALL n/a owners to stay away from advancing/retarding the timing. It is an easy "mod" but it can also easily go wrong. After all 1 degree is such a tiny ammount and can be overdone....if you do decide to go ahead make sure you mark the original place in about 10! different areas to ensure it can brought back to the right place.

....for reference anyone wishing to set the timing dont forget to bridge the diagnostic port