Engine Has Weird Rattle Under Load At Low Rpm?

hi all

just before i took my NA engine out to replace with the fte, it made a weird rattle in lowish revs, around 2-3k. say u was in gear 3/4 doing 30 mph, then put ure foot down to the floor, it rattled until revs pic up. but if u drive car hard through all gears it doesnt do it?!! its defo not a knocking sound.. recently the other starlet ive got me hands on, its doing same. has 65k on clock, full service history, runs fine no problems, but has started to do this rattle. any ideas???

in comparison, when the vvti went on my s14, it made a very similar rattle. it was just the spring that needed replacing.. would it be somting similar on this? like tappet rattle or somting?

id say it sounds like what dub and sparky are saying would be he first thing to check

but BAZ2CRAZY has a good point. in low revs the engine tends to vibrate more so does exhaust etc so just check that theres nothing touching the engine that could be rattling on it or as is stated heat guards etc

2 bolts on the dizzy cap, undo them and to retard the igntion you twist the dizzy cap towards you I believe, only need to do it a tiny bit but just try it and see, if it gets better, retard a bit more or vice versa

If you're on about a ticking sort of rattly noise I had it on my n/a starlet, my old Paseo and current Paseo

Think someone once told me it might be the injectors....?

(don't quote me on that though)