I just got hold of an EP82 tonight. One thing i've noticed with it is that when driving in a straight line, you can move the steering wheel about 1" each way from the centre and it won't move the front wheels.

The car went through an MOT today, but it could have been a bent one.

Any ideas whats up? I was thinking maybe the steering rack is shot?

Guest Enzo

ive never heard any problems with a starlet and there steering racks before.

it could possebly point to something suspension related, maybe the front socks are screwed, that can lead to your symptoms.

could you please fill in your location fields? :surrender:

ive never heard any problems with a starlet and there steering racks before.

it could possebly point to something suspension related, maybe the front socks are screwed, that can lead to your symptoms.

could you please fill in your location fields? :surrender:

The front shocks are new, so are the springs (lowering springs)

You know in a rubbish american film, you see someone (pretending to be) driving in a straight line but they are turning the wheel left and right? It's like that, I can turn the wheel over an inch before it moves the driven wheels.

Also a wheel bearing is whining. I think the MOT might be a bent one, thinking about giving vosa a call if it turns out the steering rack is shot.

I had a better look at this today, when I turn the steering wheel, the front wheels do move straight away, there is no play in the rack. There must be some worn out ball joints or something.