I have a 1998 n/a with aftermarket stereo installed...it seems this stereo has been in the car for some years now and so I would like to change it.

Is it difficult to change the stereo? Is there anything I should look out for when choosing the stereo unit? (espescially pioneers as that is the brand I would like) Also is there some sort of guide on how to fit a stereo on this website? (looked but couldn't find one).

dont know who else is gona reply buddy so here you go...

dont own a glanza yet but same principles apply - its fairly easy

*its always advisable to disconnect the negative from the battery before you commence anything to do with electrics/stereo - make sure not to 'short' it with the positive, or else big sparks and boom boom :p

*take out stereo - this is the most difficult part of the process, theres two main types of stereo releasing depending on the stereo - ISO keys and European keys - check out this website -

http://www.easy-caraudio.co.uk/shop/instal...nit-stereo.html

obviously once its released its a case of sliding the head unit out

*disconnecting the old stereo - at the back of the stereo you will probably see some wiring loom/block - this is called the ISO block, should be fairly easy to disconnect. Once released, make sure the aerial (if one) is disconnected, this is seperately wired and is usually thicker. Depending on the glanza you may not have this ISO block, but im assuming since you have an aftermarket stereo already, this should be in place.

*depending on the new stereo you are fitting, you may have to buy an additional connector, as the newer headunits have the multiplex wiring and so on.

*Its simple, just connect up the new one, and slide back into place :)

With regards to head units - I have the Pioneer AVH-P5900DVD touchscreen - these are a quality bit of kit, but the release mechanism for the cd's/dvd's tends to go on them just after the years warranty is up :p

Go for a top notch head unit I always say - no point in having a cracking sound system with a crappy head unit!!

Check sampling rates and frequency responses. The higher the sampling rate - usually measured in kHz, the better. My particular Head Unit has a freq response of 5Hz to 44kHz - obviously the human ear can not hear all these frequencies, but it means the harmonics of these frequencies are accentuated - i.e. harmonics of 5 Hz would be 10Hz, 15Hz, 20Hz etc etc thus meaning these frequencies as they go up become more audible...

If you want to connect amplifiers and whatnot, you should be looking at the 'pre-outs' and how many they have - 3 pre-outs generally means able to hook up 3 separate amplifiers without the need for splitting anything etc. etc. Also the signal output from the pre-outs (measured in Volts, V or in Millivolts, mV) should match the preamp signal going into your amplifier of choice...

Check the power output from your head unit too...most of these fly manufacturers will quote something like 4 x 50 Watts!!, wow sounds good yeah?? not really, these are the MAX figures being qouted and what we really should be looking at is RMS - or Root Mean Square figures, as this will tell you how mcuh the head unit will run constantly... MAKE SURE THIS MATCHES YOUR NOMINAL SPEAKER HANDLING - you dont want to blow any car speakers to begin with...

this should be enough to get you started :p

hope this helps mate... :)

Thanks mate...I'll start shopping around this week and hopefully by the weekend I'll start working on it :)

Will let you know how things work out. What I have in mind is a good head unit, two front speakers and two 4-way 6x9 speakers at the back (have to be 6x9 as there are already old ones in the parcel shelf...to change size I have to change the parcel shelf which to say the least is quite expensive here..rougly 50sterling)

yup mate, as Gary above says, just a case of taking out the screws (usually phillips/starheads) and popping off the plastic, then its usually 4 tiny jewellers screws to loosen on the metal casing, again usually phillips heads.

fair enuff for the set up mate - personally I frown upon having 6x9's.lol. ask any purist and they will tell you always seperate components are the best :)

get yourself a decent powered amplifier with a decent frequency response if you are gonna run those 6x9's though...alwys match the power(rms) and the impedance - usually 4 or 8 Ohms nowadays...

and £50 for a parcel shelf is not too bad mate, from a dealer over here, you could be paying double that, but to be honset even £50 is overpriced...

Good luck buddy and keep us up to date will you?? :)

Cheers

Thanks for the help :)

and £50 for a parcel shelf is not too bad mate, from a dealer over here, you could be paying double that, but to be honset even £50 is overpriced...

£50 is a second hand one....i didn't bother checking new as 99.9% it is much more expensive.

Lot's more work than I imagined....the older head unit is now out, but unfortunately the person who installed it had filed down the stereo surround part of the dash and the mount which is inside the dash was cut away, so the stereo was only fitting on the plastic surround of the dash board.

depending on the new stereo you are fitting, you may have to buy an additional connector, as the newer headunits have the multiplex wiring and so on.

Before I start connecting the new headunit and dealing with the damage the previous owner did (or the person who installed the headunit), I have to buy some sort of adapter....as the connectors from the new headunit do not fit that already in the car.....

• 1 month later...

So I now have the headunit installed (quite happy with it really)...now it's time to get some front speakers...(already have 6x9s at the back....not sure about what brand they are but sound quality is good enough). So unless I'm mistaken front speakers must be 4" aka 10cm speakers, right? Also I've been reading around on this forum and there have been some problems when installing speakers which have tweeters and so on. So my other question is will pioneer 2 way speakers fit? or will they give me a problem?