Possible Cracked Head Gasket?

the engine heat is going through the roof. i think its head gasket as i had problem with getting water in the cylinders recently as i took spark plugs out and water got in on a well rainy day as i still have the hole in the bonnet.

so i finally got all spark plugs out and cleaned em up and wiped all wires down as it was only running on 2 cylinders then about a weeks worth of driving and last night i notice my car smoking.

opened bonnet and coolant is going everywhere. so i left it over night luckily i was just round the corner. then today took it to work, just as got to work the heat started to rise again. same happened on way back so litterally 5 mins driving and the heat goes through the roof. i turn the engine off straight away to stop any dammage but what else could it be. someone said it could be thermostat ? << dont think so but then again im no mechanic.

any help much apreciated. if i need a new head gasket how much am i looking at and could i do it easily myslef ? how much including labour.

was the heater working before hand?

was the heater gauge lathergic before you noticed the problem?

never had this problem before it just happened last night out of no where, i have noticed recently though the revs are a bit high and i even turned them down recently on the controll valve and they have gone up again to about 1400 and 1250 and wont go below that unless i keep my fingers on the electric window butttons when there completely down and then it goes back down to exactly 1k but when i take my fingers off the window buttons it rises back up.

When upto temp/over temp does the bottom rad hose feel colder than the top? and is it more "squeezy"/less pressurised?

if you feel it is colder the thermostat isnt opening.

i just had the same problem last week! replace the thermostat first i paid £10 could be an eas fix but if you have you water preasurising through the radiator then it could be a split in the head gasket betwen one of the cylinders and water chambers!

yup agreed mine was preasurising through the rad, losing coolent, coming out the overflow so had head gasket replaced and when they took my gasket out it was shagged lol

if urs is this prob a good idea to replace thermo,water pump,cambelt (if need doing as it will be comin off anyway)

When upto temp/over temp does the bottom rad hose feel colder than the top? and is it more "squeezy"/less pressurised?

if you feel it is colder the thermostat isnt opening.

yer the temp is cold on the hose at the bottom and the top one is well freaking hot.

hope this is just it ? but what about the reving high even though i have turned the revs down as much as i possibly can ?

not sure about the idling, if it was the thermostat i think they are something like 13 quid from toyota mate.. its an easy fix with two bolts undone if it is.

just watch you dont snap the nuts taking it off

not sure about the idling, if it was the thermostat i think they are something like 13 quid from toyota mate.. its an easy fix with two bolts undone if it is.

just watch you dont snap the nuts taking it off

where is it situated as i dont know where the thermostat is ?

Follow the bottom hose up you`ll see 2x 10mm nuts (let it cool and drain you coolant before hand) literally 2min job pop off the old seal and put it round the new one.....

When changing the thermostat there is a small wobbly ball/valve on the outside ring.

That is ment to be placed in so the valve is at the top of the thermostat housing if you get me.

It's called the jiggle valve and it's for bleeding out airlocks. When the fluid comes up to the valve it pushes all the air out and closes it

Hope this makes sense

Gary

• 3 weeks later...
if your looking for a head gasket kit mate..ive just orderd one mysel from tm developments, was the best price i could find..was £86 including p+p..

dont think he will need it bud the car is being broken