Right guys need help on this and i know its the wrong place for it but need a quick reply.

i have a 92 mk 1 gt and in the fuse box in the engine bay these 2 wires connected to a 40 amp fuse (see pic).

40ampfuse1.jpg

now the fuse will occassional blow and melt now judging by the look of it to me i looks like a relay is supposed to be there, now when it blows instrument lights stop working and the starter will not engage and obviously wont turn over could anyone with a mk 1 gt get a pic of the fusebox to i see what it is supposed to be there ?

Cheers Guys

Colin.

its supposed to be the origional fuse mate, the reason it keeps blowin is because it aint the right ne, its one of those block ones..

Cheers for the quick reply but that don't help mate "the original one" ??? if i knew that i wouldn't have posted and what rating is "the original one" as that is a 40 ampere thats in it (shit load of current) and it melts.

Cheers anyway mate :)

from your description of the dash lights going and the starter going out aswell would indicate that its a 'slow blow' fuse which is a black sqaure one rated at 80amp.

Happend to me on the weekend, blew it and no dash lights came up and wouldnt turn over

go to your motor factors and get a slow blow 80 amp. About 4 quid

from your description of the dash lights going and the starter going out aswell would indicate that its a 'slow blow' fuse which is a black sqaure one rated at 80amp.

Happend to me on the weekend, blew it and no dash lights came up and wouldnt turn over

go to your motor factors and get a slow blow 80 amp. About 4 quid

mate your a legend :), shall try that any chance you can get a pic of yours for me :(

Thank you mate

any more input here on this one guys is appreciated just want to be sure as 80amps is a strong current spent enough on this car don't want to be spending more replacing an ecu or something cheers guys :(.

I have a 95 GT so the fuse box layout may differ but the symptoms of the dash lights going out and not starting is the slow blow fuse which is definately 80amps as i just bought one.

On the inside of the fusebox is labelled as the 'ALT' fuse which i assume is the alternator fuse. There should be a Black square 80amp and a Red square 40amp one.

I blew the Black and no lights.

I have a 95 GT so the fuse box layout may differ but the symptoms of the dash lights going out and not starting is the slow blow fuse which is definately 80amps as i just bought one.

On the inside of the fusebox is labelled as the 'ALT' fuse which i assume is the alternator fuse. There should be a Black square 80amp and a Red square 40amp one.

I blew the Black and no lights.

yes the 95 and mine differ in the fusebox layout but wanting a pic of the bottom of the fuse, check the pic ^ do you think the black 80amp slow blow fuse will fit there ?, as i know of the red 40 amp fuse your talking about as i was looking at it today but the connections on the bottom of the red one is diff from the connections where the fuse is in the pic.

^ graeme glad your here mate will jump out and grab a pic 2 mins mate, i know what you mean by bolt on as the red 40 amp fuse toyotabraav was talking about is a bolt on. but don't think this one slots out like that red 40 amp.

EDIT - just checked the terminals don't come out.

can anyone that has a mk 1 get a pic of there fusebox for me as soon as they can just so i know the exact amperage of fuse that is to be there :) so far it looks to be a 80amp the only reason i'm questioning that is then why the previous owner connected up a 40 amp fuse there.

so a pic of a mk 1 engine bay fusebox will answer it once and for all.

So bolted in from underneath then?

no the red one toyotabraav talked about is bolted underneath those terminals posted in the first pic that the 40 amp blade fuse that connects to them are encased in the fusebox (they don't come out).

Right i'm stumped with this i was told i needed a 60 amp slow blow fuse so i bought a 60 and an 80 as was said ^ now the 60 blew as soon as i connected the battery up so i tried the 80amp and it smoked a wee bit but held up never blew but i aint getting any instrument lights whatsoever and it obviously wont turn over i pray i aint burnt the e.c.you out what checks can i do to see if i have ?

though another thing thats suspect is the new battery i bought was reading under 12v when i checked it with the multimeter though once i connect the terminals up that reading shoots right down to 3-4 volts and justs keeps losing voltage ???? i've never known this any ideas ??

though another thing thats suspect is the new battery i bought was reading under 12v when i checked it with the multimeter though once i connect the terminals up that reading shoots right down to 3-4 volts and justs keeps losing voltage ???? i've never known this any ideas ??

thats a short cicuit mate, some live is connected to earth, and is killing your battery,

spot on mate was what i had been thinking but was positive i checked it all so jacked it up to notice the live terminal on the alternator was earthing on the body of the alternator and is all sorted now up and running :).

thanks for your input though mate :(