Hi there guy's

I wanted some advice, so here it goes.

Is it worth it to put an external waste gate on my stock turbo?

Glanza 97 Specs

1. Racing Airfilter
  2. Custom exhaust manifold & Downpipe
  3. Turbonetics Boost controller
  4. Fuel pressure regulator
  5. Supra fuel pump
  6. exedy stage 1 racing clutch

can somebody please advice me?

thanks in advance

Tha Dragon

• 2 weeks later...

well the benifits of an external wastegate is that'll it'll flow alot more gas flow and keep boost more under control.

another note which most people don't factor in is that even with the internal wastegate open and boost under control as the rpm's increase there is a build up of back pressure inside the exhaust manifold, The internal wastegate might be big enough to flow exhaust gas but a bigger opening will also be able to bleed away more back pressure energy.

You can use wastegate size to tune for topend flow.

What i found on using a gt2860rs turbo on a 3sgte is that torque would drop off alot of topend using a 0.64 ar exhaust housing, where the spool wasn't good enough with the later 0.86ar but the torque wouldn't drop off. This was using a 38mm wastegate, now when i upgraded the wastegate to 44mm the topend torque lifted a little on the smaller housing. But remember you can go to big, because when i went with a larger waste i noticed turbine speed slow down, yes it vents gas away but the bigger wastegate also looses more kenetic exhaust energy, hense the turbine slow down slightly. just need to take this into account

Tim

TB Developments