sounds like the idle control valve alright. stand in front of the car and look at the engine. on the left hand side of the intake manifold you will see a wee grey thing connected to the side of it with two 10mm bolts. this is your idle control valve. it can mess about if dirt or water gets into it. you can buy a new one from toyota or get a second hand one off someone but a 2nd hand one might have the same problem. another thing yah can do is check for air leaks from your boost piping as my idle messed about crazy bad and idled at 3000 until i found my air pipe had blew off the actuator.

you really cant go wrong it just goes back on in the same position just be careful not to nip the o ring on the bit you insert into the intake manifold. i got a wee bit of wd40 just to lubricate the o ring when it was going back in. to get it off undo the 2 10mm bolts, take off the wee electrical connector andtake off the wee tube on the bottom of it and lift it out but youll see it when your doing it it is easy enough.