Glanza Weird Problem, Stutering Help!

My mates 96 glanza created itself a little problem yesterday. We went to MFN, parked up and all was fine, within this period of time somthing happened and ever since its been problematic.

Basicaly the car stuters, and like pops and bogs down when its under boost. its ok lower down in boost, but under full throttle and anything over sort of 10 psi it just pops and bangs.

so we swapped the plugs over, checked dizzy arm etc, done a compression test (all just over 150), swapped actuator, turbo unit and all gaskets as the actuator felt abit rare and stuck abit, messed about with his fcd, checked for boost leaks... went out to try it, and for 1 run it sounded ok, then the 2nd confirmed our efforts had done sweet fuck all.

personaly i think its down to fueling, its not a strong enough bang to be fuel cut, and its not boosting high enough to cause it.. so maybe running to rich or way too lean??? however its got some fueling mods so should have enough...

mods list:

36K Engine/fuel rail/injectors swapped about 500miles ago

decat pipe

aftermarket cat back exhaust

walbro 255lph pump

symtec fuel pressure regulator

turbosmart FCD

HDI FMIC

induction kit

blanked off bov

he reckons he has had some dodgy fuel from the same garage a few months back so his tank is empty and guna try some vpower instead of the bp stuff.

any help anyone????

youve just descirbed exactly the same problem mine had at the end of december, unfortunately for him mine was water had gotton doen into one of the spark plug holes, dried it ouit and put some new plugs in and it was all ok after. not had the same problem since. hope he gets it sorted.

Just a thought, have you checked the fuel pressure? I think it's meant to be around 40psi at idle. If the pressure is down it could be a blocked filter, dodgey pump or one of the regulators. If there's no power and its just misfireing try taking the reg. off the end of the fuel rail and check the diaphragm inside works (its the one that holds the pressure in the rail or returns to tank).

Just a thought anyway mate, you're more clued up than me haha

Dave

take out the fcd see if it still has the problem, could well be water in the spark plug socket as described though.

if it was fine before the fueling wont suddenly change its self... the problem will be electrical (fcd) or down to weather (rain,water getting somewhere it shouldn't)

check for a loose pipe causing a pressure leak, giving the ecu funny readings also... might be worth resetting the ecu as it might still be trying to enter safe mode.

hmm, he said he had this problem on his old engine, but it just cleared its self up..

yeah ive told him to get the car on a mates dyno and get its fueling checked. i reckon it will be that or water in plugs, cuz he pressure washed the front end before mfn lol..

FCD, he turned it rite down to off so it was reading the ecu instead and still poping nd banging like mad

and as for the fuel, i thought that would be a long shot, but after finding nothing it was worth a try! plus he needed fuel so... :thumbsup:

cheers guys

Jay