1st gear issues.....

Hi everyone, we recently bought a starlet in september, with a full service history...its 10years old and has run smoothly till the other week. Just recently while in 1st gear the engine really shudders and we have to really put the foot down on the accelerator to get it to pull off. A friend suggested it could be a clutch problem, i'm not so sure. does anyone here on this forum have any idea what this maybe? All and any post much valued. thanks!

well the exedy isn't an upgrade, just a standard replacement clutch, stock oem pressure plate etc, but its a new clutch at least, although if your fly is warped it'll still be juddery :)

I thought the exedy was supposed to be 35% stronger than the standard clutch?

I dont suppose it really matters though. As long as there is no danger of gearbox damage??

the 'true' 35% uprated exedy is around the £250+ region, which is the same as a decent paddle clutch, the one everyone thinks is 35% uprated actually is not, its just a replacement for the standard clutch. might have slightly better quality materials but the pressure plate etc is of the same strength, so no it'll only handle standard power, or as much power as the standard one will hold :)

If you're gonna be tuning then you might aswell replace with a better clutch, rather than having to whip it out again if you shove loads more torque/power through it (and as such, it doesnt hold).