are all forged engines louder than a standard one??

I've just done my 500 miles, and put some thicker oil in with a new filter, but my engine is still quite tappety when cold, are they all like this or have i got a problem????

It will tap due to the ring gap size and piston to bore clearnace.

The bigger the ring gap the more the slap, same with piston to bore clearance, until the piston expands with the heat.

Not true, its only the piston to bore clearance that effects piston slap.

Dan, Do you know your piston to bore clearance? If it goes away when hot it should be fine anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Its to do with the silica content in the forged pistons dude usualy deppendant on what copression ratio you went for, piston slap is nothing to worry about but after very very very long periods of time they can oval the bores in extream cases, if the silica content is low as the less silica content the more the piston will exspand and contract but with less silica there much stronger, heres some info i put on a mr2 forum for some guy on the mr2 forum asking the same question hope it helps :(

Aluminum alloys used for pistons come in a wide variety, with varying degrees of copper, magnesium and silicon content. Though each material adds its own properties to the alloy, silicon content is the main material in the overall characteristics of the alloy and piston.

Hypoeutectic – 11% or less silicon content.

Hypereutectic – Greater than 12% silicon content.

In the piston business hypoeutectic alloys are referred to as low silica alloys, while hypereutectic are referred to as high silica alloys.

In short, hypoeutectic (LOW SILICA) alloys posses a thermal expansion rate greater than typical engine block materials. This requires running higher clearances, (which affect engine noise), wear and emissions. On the up side, these alloys are strong and well suited to extreme forced induction applications to be able to run much higher boost levels etc.

Hypereutectics (low silica) have thermal expansion rates equal to or less than the surrounding cylinder. Allowing tighter clearances to be run. Unfortunately they are brittle, and less tolerant to high boost pressures.

in hign side it probebly means you have a low silica forged item fitted wich isnt a bad thing ;)