Bottom end knock advice

Hi I have just heard a knocking from my bottom end on start up I got the man from the local garage to take a quick look without taking it apart and he said defo big end shells have gone.

Just wondering how easy is it to change the shells? How do I measure the crank to see if it needs a regrind? What else do I need to look out for or replace while doing it? I just need it to last about 6 months while I save up for forged internals.

Also hiw much would the bits cost? Any help really apreciated.

Cheers

If I have cought it early will swapping the bearings over last me for a while? Need to do it as cheap as poss at the minute because of work, then look into rebuilding as early as poss next year!! Or if I do take it out to freshen it up what do you recommend to change? Thanks

Haha i want to forge the engine but need to wait till next year to get the funds together! Been offered a cheap block so might build that and try and fix the one in my car without taking the engine out if poss? Also how I check for wear and what to look out for e.c.t? Cheers

Yeh when you turn the key it knocks for about a second then goes!! garage said bearing straight away but tbh you could tell by the noise! it dosnt knock on tickover but if you rev it sometimes it comesback and sometimes not,hope i have cought it early.

Can anyone tell me if the crank will be visably worn or if it needs mesuring? is it a simple take out put new ones in job? i have done some engine work before but not bearings, anything to look out for? e.c.t? torque measurements? a write up on doing it?

Help really really apreciated its my daily driver so need it doing asap! cheers

i did may bearing on the floor out side my house if it is just the conrod bearing they anit that bad to do u got to tack the sump down then the oil strainer off and they are looking at u did my but the bearing were f**k and it lasted 5 to 6 months just dont drive round like a mad man