Changing door handles

Anybody changed/removed/swapped their door handles?

I've learnt how to removes the door card, and can see one of the bolts needed to remove the handle.

However the other is under a piece of metal that is welded to the window glass runner (it's a brace/stay I think)

door_lock_cover.jpg

The dark grey bit (I've removed the screw in the bottom right cover that holds it steady)

Has anybody any experience in dismatling this part of the door's guts?

Thanks in advance ;)

Yeh i changed mine, bit of a ball ache really. Two bolts holding the handles in place either side of it. 10mm i think they are, pretty tricky to get to but it will come off, also there's a small green clip holding the rod in place don't lose that down the door as i did, quite fiddly to do but possible without going crazy.

Sorry to go off topic but anybody know how to replace the spring that keeps the handle in tension. I think the spring on my drivers door is after slipping out but I can't get at it. Its making the handle loose and flappy with no tension.

Any ideas how to fix it?

Just had a look at the set to go on, the spring is around the hinge (open the handle fully and look up inside it to see the spring), to do anything with the spring the handle will have to come out.

I can share the dark secrets of getting the door card off so you can play with the handle is you want

• 1 year later...
Sorry to go off topic but anybody know how to replace the spring that keeps the handle in tension. I think the spring on my drivers door is after slipping out but I can't get at it. Its making the handle loose and flappy with no tension.

Any ideas how to fix it?

I have just encountered this problem.

Anyway in fixing the tension spring from outside without removing the door card??

Thanks in advance

The plastic clip on the handle that holds the spring in place usually breaks. If that's what has happened it's a new handle that is needed.

To remove it's two 10mm bolts and a plastic clip holding the handle to the locking rod. A bit fiddly but no biggee.

The plastic clip has not broken off.

The compression on the spring has been released when i opened the door over the weekend.

I need to attach the spring back onto door handle housing, is it a matter of sticking in a screw drvier to ping it back in?

I'll get a pic of what I mean mate. 9 times out of 10 the retaining part of the handle that tensions the spring breaks.

Cheers mate.

I will also try to get a picture to show the problem.

I only can say one thing its an hell of a job!!!

the springretainer popped on mine, 2 weeks later i pulled the entire handle of due to that fact.

i installed a new one but its a very very annoying thing to do, if you dont take out the window...

I only can say one thing its an hell of a job!!!

the springretainer popped on mine, 2 weeks later i pulled the entire handle of due to that fact.

i installed a new one but its a very very annoying thing to do, if you dont take out the window...

Ouch!

So once the springretainer popped on you did you carry on using the car resulting in the entire handle comming off?

I was thinking about leaving it for now if its an ANNOYING job.

Picture attached

17082008607.jpg