Hi guys, i've just bought myself a cheap TD04 turbo for the kit i'm making up, i've had a quick search round the forum but i cant find a topic on how to rotate the one side, anyone got any info on doing this ???

allso, the turbo i've bought is a TD04 20g, i've read somewhere that a 13g is the best to use, will the 20g be ok and whats the difference ???

Any info would be awesome, cheers !

Hi guys, i've just bought myself a cheap TD04 turbo for the kit i'm making up, i've had a quick search round the forum but i cant find a topic on how to rotate the one side, anyone got any info on doing this ???

allso, the turbo i've bought is a TD04 20g, i've read somewhere that a 13g is the best to use, will the 20g be ok and whats the difference ???

sorry to use the other forum here but i see most people on both, theres a thread on tgtt in the awsomly helpful infor section on how to do it ;)

hey mate ive just done mine a couple of weeks of ago

i rotated both sides

i removed actuator and oil/water lines

undid the centre vband

then using a vice to clamp the compressor side - tapped of the turbo exhaust housing - make sure as it comes off evenly so not to damage the fins

when the housing came away - used a dremmel and ground down the locating dowel so it was flush

then to take off the compressor side - use a strong and long handled circlip tool and remove the circlip behind the compressor housing

once its apart - again being mindful of the fins - grind down the locating dowel again

now put it back together in reverse order - keep in mind the oil return points downwards towards sump - and position the compressor housing to suit your fmic or tmic

TO DO ONE SIDE JUST TO HALF THE WORK I GUESS

BE VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL OF THE FINS ON THE TURBINES MATE

Just so you know it will probably a fucking mission to split the turbo! I recommend a rubber mallet and some patience! Think people sometimes soak the join in wd40 too before trying to split

• 3 weeks later...
hey mate ive just done mine a couple of weeks of ago

i rotated both sides

i removed actuator and oil/water lines

undid the centre vband

then using a vice to clamp the compressor side - tapped of the turbo exhaust housing - make sure as it comes off evenly so not to damage the fins

when the housing came away - used a dremmel and ground down the locating dowel so it was flush

then to take off the compressor side - use a strong and long handled circlip tool and remove the circlip behind the compressor housing

once its apart - again being mindful of the fins - grind down the locating dowel again

now put it back together in reverse order - keep in mind the oil return points downwards towards sump - and position the compressor housing to suit your fmic or tmic

TO DO ONE SIDE JUST TO HALF THE WORK I GUESS

BE VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL OF THE FINS ON THE TURBINES MATE

Job done ! the circlip was a bastard to get off, i took the clamp off and used a rubber hammer to split the turbo, only problem was i couldnt get the housing past the fins on there :) i culd still rotate the turbo and there didnt seem to be any locating pins on there, however, the guy i bought the td04 of was a bit of a dick and sent me a td05, the only locating pin on there was on the compressor side so i had to file a little grove in the side for that to sit in

menna grind/file the pin off. not make a new hole for the pin to sit in. aslong as it works :)

There was no pin, its hard ton explain but it was a small bit on the inside of the comp housing that you couldnt get a tool in to, the exhaust housing side had nothing atall on it tho :) anyway its all rotated and seems to be ok, wont be on there long hopefully lol