really dunno what to do

the spare engine i have at home that i was planning on re building:

just spoken to the lad that took it all apart when it first overheated (big time) and he said he thinks the engines scrap, told him i have a new head and he said if i were you i wouldnt bolt a good head onto that engine. its not like he doesnt know what hes on about either, he builds 20K race engines for people and races himself in the ford saloon cup or something.

so i dunno what to do now, the engine thats in the car hasnt got long left by according to the compression test i did last night.

and i can neither afford it to be off the road for ages, or for a full forged re build. so im now debating whether to get the parts that will get it by for now, get another mechanic to check over the engine in the garage see if the block and bottom end is fuckedd. if not build that, but the last thing i wanna do is build that and it drop to bits a week later.

also im going td04, which progressively seems to be getting further and further away. so forged seems to be the way forward. but it its the money.

anyone else got some opinions on what would be best to do? my original plan was to rebuild the garage engine to a standard spec and freshen it all up, but now thats not looking so simple B)