10mm bolt holding cam gear

put it in before u take the cams out and back out again once they are installed. I've not actually rebuilt a head yet but theres not much to them really. valves and springs and then buckets and shims. shims are the only bit you may have to order differenct if you valve clearances require adjustment

everything was remove and placed in sequence and labeled, its just a case of building the valves up installing the buckets and the the cams useing the timing marks on them????

yehy the service bolt what does it do????

its to tension the cam gears, the head can b a wee bit noisy if u dont do it.

I forgot to put the service bolt in (silly me) anyone know how to retension it or how far you need to turn it?

May just use one of the other cams I got lol

Sorry for the hijack :p

u need 4 hands and alot of swearing lol, it doesnt need to turn that much, its hard going but it can b done

it just goes through the (i think its the inlet) cam,

the cam has a sprung mechanism in it that when the engine gets worn it just makes it have better contact and not be as rattly as it would otherwise be without the mechanism, i dont fully understand the purpose of the service bolt though as the cams go in and out without putting the service bolt in.

i was told the above by a toyota technician

i devised a decent method for retentioning it. used a BIG flathead screw driver between the 2 parts of the gear that were slightly offset to bring them into alignment and at that i could look through the hole and see the start of the hole on the other side so used a 2 mm drill bit to squeeze through the 2 holes and straightened it up till the holes either side were aligned, then i used the big screw driver again to bridge the 2 sides of the gear and hold them where there were and removed the drillbit and screwed in a bolt.

if u manage to make sense of that be careful as its easiest done on your lap and i stabbed my legs a few times with the screwdriver haha. could make a little guild with pictures tomorrow if anyone wanted as i have a spare set of cams.

it doesnt have to turn much but its hella tight spring.

if the bolt is to keep tension on it and they are installed without one then its not gonna have tension so maybe a rubbish tech lol. plenty people on here work at toyota, they should know. ( ie .streetracer )

i done the same and removed the cams without putting a bolt in but its easy enough to do

you will see the holes that need to be lined up and you will also see on the cam another hole that is for another bolt place a bolt in this hole.

Now get a big screwdriver wrap a cloth around the end of the cam (where the cap goes over) and place screwdriver between the bolt and the cloth and twist the cam gear till the holes align get someone else to place service bolt in the threaded part to hold it in tension jobs done :)