Right lads, I have D2 coilovers which have been fully set up by a decent company for B road use. I do love the handling but living in London with 8 sets of huge speed bumps on each road doing 50 miles a day can get tiring. Also the fact that Ive never been on track is just a waste of having them.

So I was thinking of getting a more road friendly set up, but I cant seem to find any companies that do a shock + spring combo. I really dont want to have standard shocks plus lowering springs again as I did before and it was rubbish.

I dont want another set of coilovers as I just dont track my car so they wont be used to their potential.

The only shocks I know that I can get are KYB gas ones but is there anyone that does a combo?

Any recommendations?

Koni do all 4 shocks pal and ive heard from a very reliable source there pretty good, also some decent springs (tein/eibach). Then finish it off with some adjustable topmounts (cusco are cheap second hand) and i recon you would have an awsome fast road car with decent comfort !

• 3 weeks later...
Right lads, I have D2 coilovers which have been fully set up by a decent company for B road use. I do love the handling but living in London with 8 sets of huge speed bumps on each road doing 50 miles a day can get tiring. Also the fact that Ive never been on track is just a waste of having them.

So I was thinking of getting a more road friendly set up, but I cant seem to find any companies that do a shock + spring combo. I really dont want to have standard shocks plus lowering springs again as I did before and it was rubbish.

I dont want another set of coilovers as I just dont track my car so they wont be used to their potential.

The only shocks I know that I can get are KYB gas ones but is there anyone that does a combo?

Any recommendations?

I still find this a bit odd that people things coilover's potential is on the track.

I actually find it the opposite that the potential of a suspension is how compliant it is on the roads.

It is easy to build a suspension that are pure track use, just make everything stiff and hard.

But designing a set of suspension that you can use on the roads everyday and have enough adjustments for track use require a little bit more time.

We drive on uneven UK roads 95% of the time, it doesn't make sense to sacrifice all the compliancy and comfort for marginal better performance on the few odd track days that you will attend in the year.

The thing is most dampers you get on the market will be standard replacement, then you put on a lowering springs.

Having adjustments on the dampers will make a difference, but it doesn't mean springs/shock combo will be more comfortable than coilovers.

I have been ask by a few tuners to design coilovers to replace the standard suspension on the Honda Civic Type-R (FD2) because the standard setup is so harsh on the UK roads.

End of the day, a coilovers is just a springs and a dampers... so it all depends on how it was design and its specification.

There is nothing that a springs/shock combo can do that a set of coilovers that are designed for the same purpose cannot do.

Just a thought for you to think about. ;)