The Ongoing Kenwood Headunit Protect Mode Saga Continues :(

Hello all

I know i've talked about ths before in a previous thread but the problem seems to be going on and on with no solution.

My Kenwood head unit is going into protection mode after 20 minutes and its been tested by another ICE retailer on the workbench the same is happening to them. I've taken it back to where i got it from and they are sending it back to Kenwood to get it repaired again.

However the ICE retailer that tested it is blaming my car for the problem in a way. The reason for this being that 3 weeks ago i had my clutch changed. Due to the clutch taking around 4 hours to change the battery was disconnected. Once the clutch was installed they stuck a charger to the battery.

Now there is where the car gets the blame. The ICE retailer is stating that my battery may be over boosted and running at something like 30 volts instead of the 14.4 volts. The head unit can only handle 12v to 16v. This is why it is going into protect mode as it has somehow damaged the power output and is resulting in the protect mode situation. He has told me that my car won't be able to handle any head unit as Kenwood ones would go into protect mode and any other brand could blow up due to the over boosting of the battery. However i need to have the battery checked. to see what voltage it is running at. Surely if the battery was over boosted then it could possibly blow or have an effect on other items in the car such as the lights, wipers etc but they all seem fine. All the wiring is fine by the way as its been checked.

Any info much appreciated as this problem has been ongoing for quite a few months and want to get to the bottom of it and find a solution once and for.

Many thanks

Sounds a bit odd to me, I can't see how a battery would output more than it's designed to!

If you take it to a garage they've got a voltage reader, only takes a minuet so I'm sure they won't mind!

hi mate

thanks for the reply

I'm going to take it to a garage soon and have it measured. The other thing is that if the battery is overcharged then it would blow fuses and i've never had a blown fuse.

thats sounds too suspect to me and just wants to get rid of you i.m.o. i have a headunit that measure my battery voltage and max its every ran on even when i had the battery on charge was about 15.8V and will then slowly go down by 0.1 volts after a 1 mins of use at low volume to a low 11.6v if i had on for a while and thats with engine off. and thats when i had 3 amps powering my speakers and 2 subs. i think you should have the main fuse on the headunit checked and also the ground point.

Does the headunit always goes into protect mode from switch on? or do you have to use it a while for it to happen?

does it happen when you turn the volume to a certain level on the speakers?

thats sounds too suspect to me and just wants to get rid of you i.m.o. i have a headunit that measure my battery voltage and max its every ran on even when i had the battery on charge was about 15.8V and will then slowly go down by 0.1 volts after a 1 mins of use at low volume to a low 11.6v if i had on for a while and thats with engine off. and thats when i had 3 amps powering my speakers and 2 subs. i think you should have the main fuse on the headunit checked and also the ground point.

Does the headunit always goes into protect mode from switch on? or do you have to use it a while for it to happen?

does it happen when you turn the volume to a certain level on the speakers?

hi mate

thanks for the reply

the guy that tested for me said that as soon as the charger is on a battery it could like boost it up to 30 volts in a few seconds lol, sounds like a bit of cowboy statement

I only have standard front speakers and some 6x9 in the back, they are all connected correctly and wiring test has been carried out which is fine, there are no shorts, the grounding is fine and no blown fuses.

The head unit will go into protect mode almost exactly 20 minutes after i put it on, the first time the head unit failed and i had to send it back it was even worse as it would go into protect mode in around 2 minutes. It was fine when they repaired it and worked without any probs for around 3 months and since the clutch change the protect mode problem has come back again hence why the battery charge issue has been mentioned as the most likely problem.

I only run the speakers are fairly low volumes i.e. my head unit can go upto 30 but i run it at no more than 12.

Any further info much appreciated.

Thanks

is that 20mins with the car engine running?

only other thing i can think of is disconnecting all the speakers and just run the headunit and see if it still happens at the moment.

hi mate

That is with the engine running

Any idea what colour wires the front speakers use.

I still think that won't solve the problem as the wiring is fine as it's all been checked.

Thanks

just disconnect the ends at the speakers and leave the wire there. try using the headunit without engine running and see what happens too.

wires are prob ok but the speakers can cause problems too.

I'll give this a try, the head unit won't be back for another couple of weeks so its a bit of a wait

Will let you know how it goes

thanks