Heres the story.

Finally got round to dropping the engine into the car after a year off road. Swapped all the ancillaries over and connected everything up from the wiring loom. Filled the car with oil and disconnected the fuel in the cabin and removed the king lead so i can prime the engine.

Charged up the battery for like 3 days and went to turn the key yesterday, didnt work and it made a tapping noise (like when a battery is dead) so i figured the battery is a goner as it was sitting for nearly a year also. After a few cranks the gauges etc when dim which also indicated the battery had lost life already.

I picked up a halfords battery which was removed from a working engine (i started the car up a few time and it started fine so it had power). I swapped the battery over and the gauges etc lit up bright so again it seemed fine.

Now i go to crank the ignition (turn it on) and nothing happens?! It just clicks. It doesnt turnover.

Why does this happened? Ive checked the wired that go into the started motor (there is two) i dont see any loose plugs on the loom that i have missed. Is the starter motor not getting a current to kick the flywheel?

Its not suppose to start as i have disabled the fuel and spark but it is still suppose to try to by cranking.

Or have i missed something? All components were working before the car went off road.

Cheers

as above, can you turn it by hand? have you removed the plugs when priming the engine so theres no pressure build up?

possible problem areas could be: ignition switch, starter contacts or poor earth (battery or engine) etc,

pinky :D

I can turn the engine over by hand, i didnt it a couple of weeks ago just before i dropped the engine in.

Yes when ive tried to crank it, the leads/plugs are not in.

Im not sure how to check the starter voltage.

Ive relocated the battery to the rear and have used the chassis as the ground (3 or 4 points on the chassis), how do i check if the points are not good enough?

Ive changed the battery, so tomorrow i will have to check the started but ive plugged in both sensors and the wire which is clamped down by the nut. Doing my head in :D

Cheers

think a multimeter's going to become your best friend,

when you turn the key you need to see what sort of voltage you are getting at the starter contact terminal, if its a healthy voltage then the problem could well be starter problems/solenoid etc, make sure the engines got a nice earth cable too, keep us updated

pinky :D