Wheel bearing new? Pulled apart?

hello

got a new wheel bearing today

genuine one!

And there was a plastic insert between the bearing.

so as im removing it, half the metal inside ring comes abit out with it? so i can see the ball bearigs, It has some sort of white grease in the bearing anyway.

i remove the rest of the plastic insert then it comes out with it and i push it back in.

Is this ok? or is the bearing fucked?

dont fancy fitting a new bearing thats fucked?

are they all like this?

Hi Tez,

This can sometimes happen, if you leave the white grease in and remove the plastic insert, as long as none of the ball bearings have popped out you can lay the bearing on a flat surface and centralise the part that popped and give a light 'tap' to pop it back in past the ball bearings.

If the balls have popped out then its really fit for the bin as you wont get them back in.

Also make sure no bits of grit etc have gotten in

Gary

hello.

Yes thats what i ended up doing.

No grit got in.

I ended up just turning it on a flat surface and pushing it down!. It feels loose and i could pull it out probably? but once in the hub it should be fine?

No bearings came out.

Just wanted to make sure if the wheel bearing will still be ok to use?or should i take it back and get a replacement.

cheers

Hi,

Ok thats fine, it will be loose at the minute as when you put the driveshaft through it and bolt the hub altogether it tightens the bearing up and holds everything together.

I have had these pop out and just popped them back together and they have been fine, i dont see any reason why it shouldnt be ok.

Gary

Hi,

Ok thats fine, it will be loose at the minute as when you put the driveshaft through it and bolt the hub altogether it tightens the bearing up and holds everything together.

I have had these pop out and just popped them back together and they have been fine, i dont see any reason why it shouldnt be ok.

Gary

thats what i thought, as the pressure from shaft/hub night should keep it tight together:)

Perfect!

thanks for the help gary!

going to have fun on removing the circlip without pliers tomorrow!

Not a problem, if you free the circlip off so it can move in and out of the recess and so its not seized etc, you may be able to pop it out using 2 screwdrivers.

Its a bit fiddly but will do the job if you dont have pliers

Gary

Not a problem, if you free the circlip off so it can move in and out of the recess and so its not seized etc, you may be able to pop it out using 2 screwdrivers.

Its a bit fiddly but will do the job if you dont have pliers

Gary

was using that earlier, Most circlips ive touched have a O in so i just used two welding rods and pulled them together.

screwdriver idea i tryed, just when you let the circlip go is the fun bit

cheers gary