Headgasket Problem

Hi,

The Glanza has given symptoms of headgasket failure;

Overheating

Losing water - it's mixing with the oil

Occasional white smoke

Running on 3 cylinders

I'm using ARP head bolts that I didn't retorque after 500 miles, so I removed the cams to retorque them now that I've done 1k miles. They were all tight (60nm) apart from the top two corner ones on either side, which were a tiny tiny bit loose (20 degrees on the torque wrench or so)

So we've put the engine back together after retiming it etc, found a tiny leak on the thermostat housing so resealed that and took it for a drive today. Within the first 5 minutes of driving it ran on 3 cylinders again, found one lead had come off the distributor so put that back on and it was just the same. Got home and did a compression test:

Cylinder 1 -165

Cylinder 2 - 159

Cylinder 3 - 162

Cylinder 4 - 169

That's on a warm engine with WOT

I also removed the intercooler pipe off the throttle body, turned it over but no smoke came out of there. Another thing I found is that the water system isn't pressured extra, I can open the radiator cap within 5 minutes of turning the car off and it won't come flying off with a load of pressure.

Any thoughts on what else to check? Or shall I just whip the head back off and inspect the gasket?

Cheers guys

Idrees

Ps. When driving it on the motorway it's absolutely fine. I've done 2 120 mile trips and it's never failed on the motorway, but as soon as I arrive at my destination it overheats and wants more water.

Loss of coolant and intermittent heating problem is an early sign i would say.

Some garages can do a chemical test which will prove your HGF suspicions.

Edit

Have you checked the spark plug tips? What do they look like like. Are they the colour of your coollant? Blue, red green etc?

Does the car smell of coolant when you turn the interior heating fans?

Just had a brain wave, should the ARPs be torque'd to 60ft lb instead of 60nm? I don't have the instruction sheet so can't check, maybe I've under torqued them.

Loss of coolant and intermittent heating problem is an early sign i would say.

Some garages can do a chemical test which will prove your HGF suspicions.

Edit

Have you checked the spark plug tips? What do they look like like. Are they the colour of your coollant? Blue, red green etc?

Does the car smell of coolant when you turn the interior heating fans?

Plugs are brown ish grey, and no it doesn't smell of coolant.

is the rad fan working ?

what condition was the engine in when you bought it ?

inlet vac/water pipes ?

type of headgasket ?

Rad fan is on constantly. Engine has been rebuilt by us, it was a low mileage 5E-FHE when I bought it. The inlet vac pipe is on correctly, it's a 1.2mm ZEP gasket.

Good luck bro, hope it's sorted so you can move onto that sexy spoiler and put it on The Car!

How is a genuine Toyota headgasket compared to the Zep one you have used as I will be changing mine before I put diff turbo on it. I was thinking of just getting a Toyota one for

Mine

Raz i would go straight for an Athena/trd/zep gasket over the Toyota one. i put a oem one on mine when i.put my td04 on and within 3 days.it had blown. that was with newly skimmed head and block. I've got a 1.2mm Athena now and its been.fine ever since :)

Raz i would go straight for an Athena/trd/zep gasket over the Toyota one. i put a oem one on mine when i.put my td04 on and within 3 days.it had blown. that was with newly skimmed head and block. I've got a 1.2mm Athena now and its been.fine ever since :)

did you skim the block again when you put the athena ?