Wanted: front brake parts

Hi everyone,

I want to upgrade my brakes a bit, because my car is a daily driver (100 mile daily commute) and traffic on my route is high density and high speed! (also my fault :) )

I have a 1996 Paseo EL54, which I guess means that I have the 238mm rotors. I'm thinking about swapping them to the 254mm rotors that later models and the EL44 had (also I believe some Starlets?).

Now I can source the rotors of course, and they have to be new. But what else do I need? I found this link: Toyotanation.com, that says all I really need are caliper brackets that are fit for the 254 mm dics.. But how about bigger calipers as well? Is it a good idea to try and swap to Corolla calipers? Or are those going to require custom brackets?

Don't worry 'bout the pads, I've done an internet comparison between Hawk HPS, Ferodo DS2500 and EBC Redstuff, each one will probably be a really nice addition. Probably going for EBC because of the availability over here in NL.

As you can see, I need ideas from the Paseo Big Dogs! :D What do you think is my best option? Again, I don't want to spend â?¬400 or anything like that.

Greetings,

Jochempie

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Well I have to swap my rotors anyway, they're quite badly warped (thats how I got them). So when I step on the brake at 90 mph, my steering wheel vibrates quite badly. So I thought if I have to do this, why not swap them for some EL44 ones. Since the center of the brake pad will be about 8 mm further away from the center of the hub (the distance between axle and pad center (half of 64mm height) will shift from about 85mm to 93mm), I suspect this alone to increase braking torque by about 9,4%. Couple this to EBC Redstuff pads and I should get some serious braking improvement for not much money?

Hi guys and girls,

I just took a slide gauge to the car and it turns out I have the 254 mm discs already! :) Sorry for the confusion, I'll just order some grooved ones, some EBC Redstuff and I'll be on my way. Thanks! I'll show it when I get it, how about that :D

Greetings,

Jochempie.