Replacing valve stem seals with head on

Planning to put uprated stem seals in with head on over winter. Do I just fill the cylinders with nylon rope until I can't get anymore in, to ensure valves don't drop in? And what type of spring compressor do i need, anyone got any recommendations? Cheers!

Hi,

By uprated do you mean a different make from Toyota? Or just renew them?

Nylon rope wont hold the valves in I don't think to be honest, the valves need to tight to the head as the springs are quite tight.

You do however get a kit to pressurise your cylinder through the spark plug hole and bolt a spring compressor to the head to remove the spring.

I think these work well but I've always removed the head to be honest.

Gary

They're Zisco ones. The toyota ones have only lasted 4yrs! I've read a guide that says you can put nylon rope into the cylinder to prevent the valves falling out when the spring is removed. Air pressure is the other option I know of, but don't have the kit.

Ok didn't realise zisco did them,

Can't say I've ever heard of that and wouldn't of thought it would work, but I may be wrong

I don't think the air pressure kits are dear to be honest,

Why don't you take the head right off if it over winter?

Gary

• 1 month later...
Its been done ^ theres a thread on the trecel (spelling?) forum

i also have the zisco seals and plan on doing the same, i cant afford to go all out the car owes me alot as it stands.....i got the tool off ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-Pro-Overh...=item3f0d45121f

just need to find time to do it

Have you done your seals yet? Wanted to know if the tool fitted ok before buying one myself.

Nope not done them yet, probably be done in the summer when unis out....still in two minds may just rip the head off and do it that way also get a chance to give the piston tops a good clean and the exhaust ports