what to get replaced

the piston rings have gone on my glanza and its been sat on my drive for about 18 months just wondering what else i should get replaced when i take it in to the garage to get fixed. the engine has only done about 60,000 miles.

cheers

Unless your repairing it your self i would have thought the garage will charge you an arm and a leg to put new piston rings in as you need to pritty much completly strip the engine to get at them.

I think you can do it with the engine in still but its bit pointless as if your pulling it apart that much you might as well get your bores checked too to ensure they are not worn.

I reckon it would be easier and cheaper to buy another engine, drop it in your self or get the garage to do it (would be about £200 to fit at a guess), Then strip your old engine and sell the bits which are in good condition.

You can probably buy a replacement for about £400 and sell your broken one for about £150

Thats what i did anyway, replacing parts in the engine can work out expensive as you could change your rings, then somthing else goes,

Taggy

i was going to get another engine but its just finding one and getting it posted and i havent got any room to store my old engine once the new one has been fitted. my mate owns a garage so i think he will give me a good deal but im not sure how familiar his mechanics are with modified jap imports

its a tough one to decide because if you buy a new engine id do a full service on it and get a new oil pump and water pump because the last thing you want is another serious issue so thats more money on the new engine bill

Then if you decided to repair , your going to need to replace oil pump , water pump ( while its easy ), rings , big end and main bearings and thrust washers , headbolts and headgasket and then finally your timing belt and tensioners. Probably check the oil pressure switch aswell. Then ontop of those parts your going to need to go get the block honed and possibly bored if your bores are gone.

I assembled a spare bottom end myself and tried to do it cheaply but because of all of the above it still cost me a large amount of dolla.

Either way its a rubbish situation to be in. Id always be nervous if i swapped an engine aswell as theres no telling whats about to go really.

Russell