Respray for my old SR

Wandering if many of you guys have had your motors fully resprayed. What kinda money would i be looking at you recon? My SR is quite tatty only bought it for a cheap runabout but getting fond of her and wanna get her back up to stratch. Its had some dodgy painting done in the past, probs from a can, and a bit of rust round the arches. Bought her cheap so dont mind spending a bit on her. Got 80,000 on the clock so not sure if its worth while now? Imagine itd me much esier keeping the same colour because then the car has to be stripped down less, dont have to remove engine etc.

André

What colour is it?

As the colour could influence the cost.

For example, black or white gloss paint would be quite cheap compared to say for example, the green colour Keirz, Rajaa and me have, or the purple/bluey colour Phil and Woody have etc.

Not sure on exact costs mind you though

I'm going to fully prepare mine and get the respray done from a bodyshop, that way i save alot of cash.. I'd recommend it if you've got the time on your hands!

A full respray would cost you from around £600 - £1000...

But if you prepare it yourself, it'll be abour £300-£500 (I'm just about to get a quote now infact!)

Its the silver version Mikey, so thatll probs cost more due to laquer etc. Its got a bit of rust so the prep would involve me sorting that out first, sanding it back, filler etc. Theres a guy that does that sort of work from his house - restores classic cars etc - in my home town so next time im back ill see what he says. Works for cash so makes the job cheaper!

You getting your quote today Idrees?

I'm not happy ;)

The cheapest quote i've got is £1000 all in, and the cheapest if i prepare it myself is £500!!

It looks like i'm going to be spraying it myself then hey?!!

Prepping basically is taking the laquer off by sanding it down and then filling any dents/scrapes etc and then priming the car.

All the bodyshop has to do then is mask it up rub it down and paint and laquer it.

Thats is also what I plan on doing but I wouldnt pay £500!!!! ;)

Prepping basically is taking the laquer off by sanding it down and then filling any dents/scrapes etc and then priming the car.

You wouldn't need to even prime it lol, just rub down the lacquerand sort the damage if there is any..

Still going to look around for a cheaper quote!

I'm going to take my windscreen out as i need a new one anyway, and take the doors, tailgate, and bonnet off.

I'd also take my back windows out!

Masking it is where most of the time gets spent in my experience! But if its not done properly then your gonna have a shit overall job so its worth every second!

i wouldnt need to worry bout masking if im just gunna sand it back and repair damage - leave that to the pros! Its got a bit of rust in the rear arches thatd need sorting. Im speculating too much need to take it to some places and find out if its worth doing.

A full respray would be very expensive,i.e. seats,carpets,engine etc out then prepped and sprayed.£2000-2500 would be a reasonable price.If on the other hand you mean just the exterior of the car then £1500 would be a reasonable cost,any less then i would think twice about using them as they would probably cut corners,you then have a nice respray for 6 months then you end up with what my car looks like now after a cheap job,laquer peeling paint not flatted properly,overspray etc.Get some examples of their work before commiting to anything. ;)

I'll probably try to do it myself ;)

Thats a good idea about seeing examples though, my cousin got his Swift done for about £300, i think i'll have to ask him where he got it done from because its a good job!