5efe 5efhe information

Guest Enzo

Guest Enzo

Here's some more accurate information.

The american specs and figures are all a little higher than the uk versions of the 4e and 5e engines. Earlier engines are more powerful, but toned down later due to emission issues.

You can find info on usdm toyota engines here as well as some reference to the 5efhe:Tercel Reference

Figures often get confused between american specs and uk specs.

Here is what I believe to be the most accurate at a glance. This what the UK got in terms of the 4efe and the 5efe but there are many different versions floating about the US and Japan.

UK 4efe - 74bhp / 86ft tq

195 cc injectors

Compression Ratio 9:6:1

Uk 5efe - 99bhp / 96ft tq

195 cc injectors

Compression Ratio 9:4:1

JDM 5efhe

108/110bhp/100ft tq

225 cc injectors

5efhe cams (1mm higher lift and duration making them 'slightly' more aggressive)

thicker 5efhe rods and pistons (these help enable the higher rev limit of 7200rpm and give higher compression ratio of 9:8:1)

5efhe ecu - more aggressive base map, allows 7200rpm rev limit and is mapped for the 225cc injectors.

Those are the main difference over the 5efe, everything can be used from an 5efhe to upgrade a 5efe but parts don't come cheap.

The 5efhe is a jdm engine that was only released in vehicles made in japan, these vehicles where the toyota sera and the toyota cynos beta. There are very few of these cars floating about however the 5efhe engines often get imported.

Not all 5efhe engines come with the ACIS manifold making them a little rare, Im suspecting they mostly came with the jdm version of the seo which is the Cynos. In fact the majority often don't.

Here's some info on what the acis is and how it works: ACIS

Its good to see power figures straight from the factory but remember some of that power will be lost through engine age and transmission.

Here is a link to acis manifolds for sale ACIS Mani

Here is a link to 5efhe cams for sale 5efhe Cams

Having worked with the 4efe and the 5efe engines, the 5efe is a relatively cheap and hassle free upgrade if you are looking to keep the n/a roots of the starlet you are driving with some moderate gains to be had making the car more drivable and even all round. The 5efhe engine is totally possible although would cost a little more for one in good condition and even slots right into the engine bay, it is just the wiring issue that needs to be overcome, I believe the wiring could be very similar to wiring a 4efte, a decent wiring person who has experience with wiring an fte would be your best bet altho it may cost you a little for this service.

The only 5efhe engines Ive seen for sale are relative high mileage between 70,000 - 100,000 miles. I always like to work with lower mileage engines.

You may find that the availability of 5efe engines are also higher mileage too. 5efe engines can be had complete with ecu for around £300 - £350 depending on where u get one from (scrapyard or breaker) and 5efhe I would say from £350 - £450 onwards complete with ecu for a decent example again depending where u source from.

There is a wealth of more in depth and interesting discussions on the net that nothing a good google search won't find if you are after more information on all mentioned above. Just giving you what I know in a nutshell.

Hope this helps