Oil Catch Can?

Hi,

Im looking online for the answers however, i reckon from the horses mouth so to speak would be better.. so what are the benefits of having an oil catch can? is it needed in higher powered cars? wouldn't a breather valve from halfords do the same job?

Thanks!

CK

It allows the engine crank case gas to be vented through it. Basically it catches oil so that the other side of the catch tank can go back into the inlet. Quite a dodgy thing really because your not suppost to vent crankcase gas to atmosphere. Adds to global warming or ozone depletion or something. I'm sure if you get a picky MOT tester he would fail it because you are venting it to atmosphere. :/

A breather filter on top of the valve cover will still be venting to atmosphere. It will do the job yes, but I would personally have a setup like Sam explained. A catch can with two ports only, one from the breather to the can, then from the can to the inlet manifold. Won't do any harm its just air.