Peculiar Engine Idling

Right this is a weird situation.

Well on a cold start it idles around 1750rpm then once it gets up to normal operating temperature it idles at 1k. If I drive sensibly the car will idle at 1k once I come to rest. If I decide to boot it then drive sensibly for say a minute and come to rest the car will either idle around 1.5k or occasionally will surge, but if I turn the engine off and back on it will idle at 1k. I have checked all vacuum hoses using the good old wd40 trick and they seem fine. Even clamped hoses individually to check if it changes the idle and nothing. Has anyone had this problem before?

Cheers.

Common issue mate, I've been there lol you checked/cleaned your idle control valve? If not I'd check that next. Then I'd check the throttle body and give it right good scrubbing :)

Edited by Danza V

Common issue mate, I've been there lol you checked/cleaned your idle control valve? If not I'd check that next. Then I'd check the throttle body and give it right good scrubbing :)

I had a spare icv lying around so swapped it over this morning. Opened up the icv that was already on the car and one of the wee vanes was already burst away from the rest of it, I suspect it could be that at fault? Pretty annoying something so small can make a huge difference and piss you off ha! Seen on the cleaning tutorial for the icv that a new icv is £96!