Crankcase breather

Hi all. I got a polo with an aftermarket air filter. The crankcase breather didn't have anywhere to connect it to. So, the previous owner just left it open with nothing on the end.. Car runs fine and I've heard it's fine to do this. I've checked for vac lines to connect it to, but there's none..

Also there's like a little valve thing on the end with a plug on it.. I'm curious as to what this is.

I've spoken to a few others and they said they left it off but I'm unsure. It's still venting out the gases as I've just left it vent to atmosphere..

Help is appreciated greatly..

The only way to do this I'd by drilling into the intake pipe and fitting a joiner to it. The car will be as I me ironed above yeah? Just I know it will stink of oil and may leak a tad oil but there's nowhere to put it. People have said just bung a filter on it, but i said it will if anything, restrict the fliw and blow a hoke in tge boock..by the way cheers for the reply

Hmm have you checked a manual for the car? There must be something to illustrate where it goes to? I can't imagine thats standard. Does it have another top end breather as well?

No it doesn't mate.. Just a crankcase breather at back of block. I did hear trisk had a polo and he left it to atmosphere..

It's not standard. It was connected to the old air box, but now that's gone an I haven shite cone filter. So, there isn't anywhere to put it.

I'm sure other people have been here lol..

Edited by Danza V

Ah I see, if you really wanted to you could drill a hole and put it back into the air pipe, but tbh thats more hassle than its worth and will most likely just cause problems. You'll be better off to either get another standard airbox or just leave it to vent, put a longer pipe on it and cable tie it down the engine bay near a wheel to get rid of any fumes.

That's what I did on one of my other cars. Not good for the environment but, hey ho! I suppose it's ok doing that by mot air boxes havea little filter element in them anyway to catch the oil so only fumes are re cycled? I mean if I drilled a hole I woul most likely just get oil in the engine...

Yeah hence why people run catch cans because it contaminates the fuel as well and reduces its knock characteristics :thumbsup:

If you cable tie it out the way or something, am sure no questions will be asked at MOT time, providing it still passes the emissions.

You'll only be helping to kill the planet, but don't worry, theres enough car enthusiasts that do the same so your not alone :thumbsup:

Not much oil will come out, it will just be vapour.