head gasket or ringlands?

right so Im being told lots of opinions from a lot of people about what is wrong with my engine, oil pissed all over the rocker, mist/smoke whichever came from the rocker breather, i lost all my water, low rough idle at 400-600rpm, comp test showed 120, 90, 70, 120, then when i did wet test the results were 140, 100, 110, 140. need someone who really knows their stuff to please tell me. Im having trouble getting the head off to have a real look but want to know. cause if its the pistons im just going to pick up another engine for cheap

I can tell you for sure. You have a cylinder sealing problem. If a wet test doesn't bring the pressure up then there is a problem with that cylinder.

Whether it is a snapped ring, rings in the wrong position, or the ringlands have cracked there is deffo a problem there internally.

I'm having roughly the same problem right now, stripped my engine to find the cylinders are all fine and just the normal small bit of play in the pistons .for the big ends moving!

Edited by Ryan_EP82 GT

im hoping that when i take the head off soon its only the head gasket, this is what ive been told due to the symptoms that happened, its getting me impatient i really want to know so i can order a new gasket and arrange a head skimming

If you boys are going to go to the extent of removing the cylinder head, you would be mad not to pull the pistons to check them! You can't check the piston skirts and ringlands for any damage whilst they are sat in the bore.

looking at what you've posted I would say you defo have worn compression rings as all the cylinders improved on the wet test

I would also say theres another problem because no.2 has made a change like the rest only 10psi change so you've either got head gasket gone across 2 and 3 or just a no.2 cylinder fault.

if your taking the head have a real good look before you make up your mind

how do i release a piston though? any work involved with touching the crank? through the sump is all i know

Remove the sump

On the crank you'll see the con rods, these are held in place by 2 bolts on the rod cap, loosen both of them and tap with a soft mallet to break the caps away from the rod. Make sure you keep each cap with each rod as they are a mated pair, also note direction they come off.

Once you done this with all 4 pistons, push the con rod up and out the top of the bore.

Edited by AdamB

how do i release a piston though? any work involved with touching the crank? through the sump is all i know

take the sump off turn the crank round so the rod is at the bottom and undo the two bolts it will then push out the top

^beat me to it lol