Engine not firing

Ok so let me paint you all a picture...

I was driving down the motorway and something started squeaking (sounded like either a pulley or release bearing) and then it felt as if something had sheered on the timing belt, the engine lost all power and eventually died as I rolled into a service station ;'(

got the car towed to a mates where we have tried to find the problem, the engine cranks over but doesn't fire, we have fuel and a spark and by the sound and feel of things we have compression aswel. it doesn't appear to have slipped the cam belt either. the engine was bone dry from oil despite me topping it up a couple of days before the journey. There has been a leak from below the dizzy ever since I got the car (a month ago)

any ideas guys?

we have taken the engine out any way as we wanted to do some work to the car anyway

is it worth stripping the engine to find anything or could it be something else? electrical fault? water pump?

thanks in advance

PS I was down at USC at santa pod last weekend and was nice to see a lot of starlets representing ;)