Yet again i have another problem but i think this is more serious

The Breather comming out of the top rocker cover is spitting out oil

if i drive it very slow the oil does still spit out but very little

but as soon as i get the revs up the oil is all over the engine

Hope someone can help me

Not having much luck with this car

Thank you in advance

whats the spec of your ep,

sounds like you need to enlarge the crankcase breather and fit an oil catch can maybe

welcome to the club by the way :lol:

hey mate,ive been told its 100% the piston rings so its not looking good

spec is

Blitz dump valve

RSR stainless straight through exhaust

HKS Fuel Cut Defender (FCD)

HKS Programmable Fuel Computer F-CON (PFC)

HKS Air Filter

Greddy Trust front mounted intercooler

Upgraded adjustable turbo actuator

Upgraded high flow fuel pump

NGK silicone spark plug leads

Denso IK22 Iridium spark plugs

FET TB-308 Turbo Timer

ahh ok, i did not know your set up so presumed you had upgraded the turbo

the only way to know if its the piston rings 100% is to do a compression test on all the cylinders

which involves taking the spark plugs out and screwing a compression tester into everyone of those cylinders,

bad luck if it is mate,

whats the most boost you have run on your turbo?

ahh ok, i did not know your set up so presumed you had upgraded the turbo

the only way to know if its the piston rings 100% is to do a compression test on all the cylinders

which involves taking the spark plugs out and screwing a compression tester into everyone of those cylinders,

bad luck if it is mate,

whats the most boost you have run on your turbo?

I bought the car as it is,its normally about 0.9 1.3

aaaah the old classic 3rd cylinder problem... i will bet all the money in my pocket that you have the stock manifold on it...

stock manifold = tiny third runner = meltey piston/rings.

you might want to get the head of and check the piston, if youre lucky itll still be ok.

COST

Well this is the biggest issue as money is very tight

Labour alone is 300pound

Parts

Hopfully its just the rings gone,rings come in a set of four which are 75pound

Headgasket set is 45pound odd

Obv the piston could also be damaged

New pistion is 34each

So the sum off it all...........im totally peed off,very gutted about it but theres no point of me moooping around

Time to crack on

Now for the plan

My mate thats going to do it sugested that i strip it down,head pistons etc

he said this would save me alot of money with the labour.me and matthewhughes off her will be doing it with the guidence on my gramps(lol) who is very good with cars

So im hoping to cut the cost down as little as possible

The only IFs and Buts are

What if the barell is scored,that means bigger pistons hhhhhhmmmm ill leave that thought with you

,will keep you updated

and yea mate its standard manifold

we are not as buissy as tgtt so you will sometimes have to wait longer for a reply. sorry about that.

here is the restriction in runner number three and the cause of your problem after running too much boost,

fucku0-p029.jpg

instead of going to the trbouble of opening up and stripping your engine and getting standard parts which can be a lengthy and unreliable process as once you do one bit you need to do another, it can get really expensive especialy if your not familiar but i dont know your background.

you would be better off getting a sealed unit. if you can aford a 4efte replacement then good for you, they are obtainable fairly easily.

my option to you would be to source

if an 5e- fhe unit from a cynos betta (alot thicker rods than the 4efte)and transfer the turbo ancilarys over to this engine along with a thicker headgasket to trop the compression.

bolt that all up and you will have a stronger 1.5 engine(they look identical and fit identical) along with more torque across the board this set up is good for 250-280 with the right tune and turbo

are you crazy enzo, dont recommend a 5e swap!

5e swap = LOTS OF MONEYS... i say that from personal experience.

itll take you about a day to strip down the 4e and get the ring sorted. if the bore is scratched, then youll have to get the engine out and decide what you want to do. either new block or open the bored up, i recommend no more than 0.5mm. if there is more than a .5mm damage then id recommend a new block. the walls are scary thin of 4e's as stock and making them smaller is asking for trouble.

having your block bored out and a new set of oversized forged pistons will cost about 4-500 quid.

then i STRONGLY recommend getting a better manifold, unless you want to do this again.

5e swap = LOTS OF MONEYS... i say that from personal experience.

itll take you about a day to strip down the 4e and get the ring sorted. if the bore is scratched, then youll have to get the engine out and decide what you want to do. either new block or open the bored up, i recommend no more than 0.5mm. if there is more than a .5mm damage then id recommend a new block. the walls are scary thin of 4e's as stock and making them smaller is asking for trouble.

having your block bored out and a new set of oversized forged pistons will cost about 4-500 quid.

then i STRONGLY recommend getting a better manifold, unless you want to do this again.

yea once the engine is done ill take my time to run it in then take my time until i have money for a new mani

then hopfully it will all be ok

lol not last time a checked bruv, im not on about a 5e swap of your magnitude, thats just scary, im surprised your not bald

just an fhe with thicker gasket to lower the compression ratio .

its has proven to be a reliable setup and the one im embarking on.

Dont put ideas into peoples heads about going for a 5e..Thats just breaking the "starbos are a 1.3" rule :)

But yeah, you can do as Enzo said, it all depends on what youre future plans are.May as well save youreself cash whilst you need to change a ring..

Either second hand 4efte, 5e conversion or just replace the rings and check for piston damage.

What ever you decide on..Get a free flowing manifold on the next engine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...