Overheating and constant revving in neutral

Last night whilst I driving I noticed my water temp rising quickly to the red and when I had my car in neutral it was revving constantly...I had to change my thermo about a month ago would it be possible that I'm in need of a new one already? I've had a search on here and not found anything...not sure if I'm looking in the right place or not...any help or advice would be brilliant, I'm not a mechanic so I wouldn't know what other things to check, cheers!

A friend of mine changed the thermo for me, I believe he did...just going on his word as I was at work...I have just been round to yaristurbo's and there was nothing in the rad, he's filled it for me and bled the air out again and it seems to have done the trick...the revs were holding around 2k not long after I started it then once it started overheating it would rev up to about 2/3k then drop down right down to about 500 then repeat itself, it seems to be running fine now just going to keep an eye on it over the next couple of days. Do you think it could be something else anyway?

Mine idles from cold at about 2k rpm as it has a cold temp stat, the revs picking up could be down to the fan kicking it?

It should idle once warm at just under 1k rpm ish,

Sounds like yaristurbo has sorted it though lol

• 2 weeks later...