Spluttering, smelling of fuel after code 52

Hi guys, first of all I will give you a bit of background about the car and how the current problem arose.

I recently fitted a wepr manifold with tf035 and external wastegate. This was mapped at racetech on emanage blue.

Been running perfect for a few months now.

I was on my way home from work last week and I gave the car some sugar past a row of cars, the car felt like it was missing slightly when passing the cars. I looked down to see my engine management light had just come on.

I then drove a steady 50mph the remaining 5 miles home. I had noticed before this happened the car had just started to judder and splutter a bit when cold in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd until it hit boost and was fine. Also fine when warm on or off boost.

It has always spluttered a tiny tiny bit in second off boost when cold but never really bothered me as it was hardly noticeable.

Anywho.... Checked the fault code and its come up with code 52 knock sensor. Checked wiring, 0.2 ohm continuity between ecu and knock sensor, also 0.3 ohm between screen and earth on battery so all fine on the wiring.

I now believe I may need a new knock sensor but I've cleared the code and it hasnt come back on whilst idling or past 3k rpm on the drive revving it up and down. But the car is very spluttery and smells of fuel from exhaust.

Pulled the plugs out and they look a lot blacker compared to when I changed them approx 500 miles ago and one to my horror looks a little wet with oil.

So I have a few questions if you could help me,

1) Could the knock sensor failing + 5 miles of driving cause the plugs to sut up (overfuel the car)

2) Could a completely different issue to the knock sensor cause the overfueling and does overfueling cause knock itself?

3) Does plug no. 4 (Standing at front of car and furthest cylinder to right) look like its got oil residue on it?

4) What do I do next?

Thanks guys,

Dan

20141022_185026_zpsbc5190dd.jpg

20141022_185130_zps2de32f4f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I changed the knock sensor and it solved it. Most of the time its the wire or the screen around the wire at fault. If you need some help pm me.

But its still lumpy idle due to another issue im unsure on. Might have fucked my rings as my vac pipe came off my wastegate and it popped up to 2.6 bar. Oops!!

• 4 weeks later...

whell what the knock sensor does is allowing the ignition timeing to advance till the engine starts "kocking" then it will retard and try again to the max. if you retard the ignition, and you are running a "different"map than stock it could not burn all the fuel in the correct time and overfuel.

the comment about lambda sensors is not true.

lambda sensors work on closed loop only. open and closed loop depends on certain factors, like: trotlhe pos and map sensor. if you drive a constant rpm being 2k rpm or 5k rpm. running constant is putting the engine in closed loop. using the lambda sensor to controle the amount of O2 in the exhaust.

what i would do is always the cheap way. clean the spark plugs make a pic of them clean. pull out the lambda sensor, also clean it ( be carefull not to use agressive materials).

reset all fault codes. drive for 1 or maybe 2k km and check again.

spark plugs wet again or oil do a compression test.

hope it helps/

grtz, wouter