Sorry this is in the wrong section, need some help pretty quick!!

Hey guys,

Me and a few mates attempted buffing my car today (by hand)

First flatted some of the rough areas with 1200 paper, using it with lots of soap and water. This obviously lost the shine to the paint, and I'm struggling with bringing the shine back.

I was told to use G3 Compound Paste so I went out and bought a new tub of that, but it hasn't totally brough the shine back so the paint is still looking a little dull.

Not happy, tried getting it all done in time for the meet tomorrow frown.gif

Is there anything you could recommend which would make the car shine like it should? tongue.gif

Tcut has to be the most abrasive cutting compound there is to buy.DONT use that bud.

you should have used 1500 wet/dry and only used it really on any little imperfections in the paint such as gritt, slight runs etc.

Buy a quality buffer with a variable speed setting.The type that look like angle grinders.

Also buy 1 solid buffing mop head, and 1 vented buffing mop head.

Buy 1 tub/tube of g3 (rough abrasive compound) and 1 tub/tube of g10 (finishing,fine compound)

Get a spray bottle ready with some chilled water , you spray the chilled water onto the panels BEFORE you use the compounds, as without it heat builds up under the buffer head and it'll completely cut the paint off, and you'll be down to the panels metal in no time.

1) use the 1500 paper on any imperfections, so flatten any runs etc in the paint. clean panel with some water and a sponge.

2) Spray some chilled water onto the bodywork where you're going to be buffing, only need to lightly mist the panels.

3) Get the sponge/solid buffing head fitted, and apply a small amount of g3 compound to the panel, now start to work the compound in with the buffer with either slow speed setting on the buffer and slow circular motions, or fast speed setting on the buffer and working with faster circular motions.DONT apply too much pressure, you barely need to touch the panel with the g3 otherwise itll cut the paint straight off.

4) once youve finished the body work with the g3, sponge the whole car off to remove any g3 left on the panels ready for the g10.

5) fit the vented mop head to the buffer, and mist the panels again with water, apply some g10 and use the same circular motion.That will remove any swirl marks and give the paint a shine.

6) Shampoo the car and apply a carnuba wax.

When my dad finished spraying his car, to get a nice shine he was told to:

1: Rub lightly with 1500 wet and dry

2: Rub again lightly with 2000 wet and dry

3: T- cut

4: G3

5: Polish

Takes a while, especially when you're doing a whole car, but it was definately worth it.

g3 is the heavy abrasive compund, if you've tcut you should go straight onto g10 which is a finer ,swirl removing compound.

But like i said, dont use tcut, it'll kill the paint on youre car.Only use the g3 to start with followed by a g10.

It'll bring the panels up like glass.

And you'll never cut the car back by hand, you'll take forever plus you wont get perfect circular motions :)

Have a look on ebay for buffers and mop heads mate, also try machine mart for the actual buffer.Aslo have a look on this site :

Bodyshop Warehouse they have some brilliant priced items.

good luck bud.