Rear Brakes

Ever since i got my starlet its had a problem with rear brakes, they haven't been able to get a grip on the drum.

Last weekend i changed the shoes for new ones and tightened the whole setup.

still to no avail, i can apply the handbrake, put it in first and pull away quite easily, and the wheels turn.

the handbrake is also unable to lock (or even slow) the wheels when the car is in motion.

does anyone have ANY useful advice on this problem,

if further information is needed just ask.

is your hand brake ajuster in properly

in the shoe assembly are the drums tight to get off ?

1. Yes

2. only on one side, but we grinded down the lip after to ensure we could tighten the shoes.

this is a total mystery.

plan to take the drums of on sunday so ill post some pictures, see if anyone's eagle eye can spot a problem

1. Yes

2. only on one side, but we grinded down the lip after to ensure we could tighten the shoes.

this is a total mystery.

plan to take the drums of on sunday so ill post some pictures, see if anyone's eagle eye can spot a problem

right ok try this .. there is a threaded stud beside your handbrake lever inside the car . Make sure it is full off there is a 2 10mm nuts

on the sud slackin the top nut off until the handbrake lever is v loose then go and tighten the handbrake at the rear shoes again.

get sum pics up off the rear shoe assembly so we can c if there is any problems mate :lol:

Problem Solved,

50% credit to Starlet SR.

Loosened up the nut next to the lever and hear a huge ping noise.

crapped myself cause i thought that the cable had either snapped or come off.

Turns out it hadn't, the nut had just seized in place, hence why i was unable to tighten it any further.

i Re-Tightened the nut back up, put the drums back together and took it on its first handbrake turn (not that its gonna be a common occurance)

So after all this it was something simple...

Thanks to everyone for there help

Problem Solved,

50% credit to Starlet SR.

Loosened up the nut next to the lever and hear a huge ping noise.

crapped myself cause i thought that the cable had either snapped or come off.

Turns out it hadn't, the nut had just seized in place, hence why i was unable to tighten it any further.

i Re-Tightened the nut back up, put the drums back together and took it on its first handbrake turn (not that its gonna be a common occurance)

So after all this it was something simple...

Thanks to everyone for there help

lol np matey glad u got it sorted no handbraking now :)