rear brake shoes question

Changed the rear brake shoes a couple of years ago on my 1.3 sportif. From memory:

- there were quite a few options re. new shoes, I picked a mid-priced one and it fitted ok

- I don't remember having to losen or torque up the rear hub nut, I just removed the drum and got on with it

- the biggest problem I had was removing the drum, a pain in the *ss job

- the second biggest problem was fitting the new shoes with all springs attached, 'til a mechanic friend showed me the knack

Haynes manual #3259 Toyota Corolla '92-'97 helped a lot.

Either that or a hole in the front of the drum around the wheel studs?

Isn't your on hand mechanic able to help? For a mechanic this is the most basic of basic things to do.

As for them catching when you were assembling them off the car you should screw the adjustment right in. Go inside the car and loosen off the adjustment on the handbrake (10mm nut) then attach the handbrake cable to the shoes. hold the shoes in place and fit the 2 spring clips that hold them in place.

Once you've done that take a dremmel with a grinding stone on it or a piece of emery paper if you dont have one and grind the lip off the drum. Now it should slide on the shoes easily and you can take the drum off and adjust the shoes out until its turning but sticking ( wont spin ).

Then pull on your handbrake check the clicks and adjust the cable until you have the amount of clicks you wish. Just be sure you dont over tighten the cable and they lock up with the handbrake off.

Edited by StuDoc 72