How to change alternator

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum so hope this is in the right place.

Anyway I've a '95 1.3L petrol starlet and the alternator is dead so I'm planning on changing it and just wondering what is the best way to go about it.

Had a quick look this morning and it is located below the brake fluid reservoir so wont come out the top without moving that. It might come out the bottom but I'm not sure.

So I'm looking for advice on the best way to change it.

Thanks

Easy job mate.

You will need to slacken off the tensions from the top. Then from underneath, with the car appropriately jacked and supported, you will need to slacken off the pivot bolt allowing the alternator to move freely.

With it moving, remove the the belt.

With the alternator moving, you will need to unplug the alternator harness, and remove the earth strap, 10mm nut on the top by the harness plug.

From underneath the car, remove the pivot bolt and move the alternator upwards, making it clear of its locating bracket, then carefully allow gravity to do its work, moving the alternator clear of obstacles, rotating it which way clear from any obstructions.

SImple job should take no more than 30 minutes from start to finish.

The alternator is completely serviceable. Parts for the slip rings and rectifier including the poles can be replaced with extreme ease. This may be cheaper than a new alternator, totalling around £50 for the new parts, as opposed to 100 for a new alternator.

Thanks for the detailed reply Calum. 

Thats good it seems easier to remove than I thought.

I'll be removing it in the next couple days when I get some free time and I'll let you know how I get on.

I also won't order the new alternator til I have a look and see whats wrong with the current one.