Removing Speedo Drive Unit

Hi guys,

My speedo stopped working recently - cable seems fine and the dials run up when I spin the cable up, so it appears the drive unit is buggered.

From the looks of it all I need to remove is a 10mm bolt and then pull the unit from the diff casing, however when I attempted this on my old gearbox is just shattered the drive unit housing. Are these supposed to just pull out after removing the bolt but they seize up, or is there something I have missed?

I have quite a rare 6-speed from a G6 Corolla so am keen not to damage the transmission or related components!

KP

its a cunt to do when there in the car

like u said undo the bolt and locking plate spray loads of wd40 on it to loosen the grime in the bore of the speede

use a flat head and slot it in where the plate gose and gently work your way try getting left right momentum to to loosen al the crap

Ah I was hoping/dreading that was the case. So with the bolt and little plate remove the bugger should pull out after some lube and swearing.

How safe is it for me to get an acetylene torch on it? Don't fancy cracking the casing or burnings the seals and oil up but I just don't know what this issue calls for!

Thanks for your help dude.

KP