After Some Testing i have a new view lol ( ignition )

it turns out my starter motor is working ok, it just sounded a bit different because my car is not firing :rolleyes: see i was trying to diagnose this on my own when i really needed someone in the car cranking it while i was outside having a good listen and so on, so i got my mate to crank the car over while the oil cap was off and i could see the cam rotating so this obviously ruled out the starter motor and i thought straight away its got to be ignition related because apparently they are very temprimental?? so i dissconected the ht lead from the spark plug and used a screw driver and put it into the end of the lead and then hovered it over an earth while my mate cranked it over, now there was a spark but it wasnt very good to be honest, it wasnt the usuall bright blue spark it was looking rather dull, and there is fuel getting to the engine as you can smell the unburnt fuel due to the cranking, so whats the next plan of attack?? would it be the distributor?? if so any idea how to get the cap off and so on, cheers guys starlybruiser :lol:

get some jump leads and hook up another car to the battery, get someone to rev that car up to about 4k, then start yours.

could be your battery on its say out. although the starter usually is the first tell tale sign for that.. could be a fluke though.

short of that, check your dizzy cap to see if the pins are worn down. if so, get a new one. that can cause a poor ignition.

get some jump leads and hook up another car to the battery, get someone to rev that car up to about 4k, then start yours.

could be your battery on its say out. although the starter usually is the first tell tale sign for that.. could be a fluke though.

short of that, check your dizzy cap to see if the pins are worn down. if so, get a new one. that can cause a poor ignition.

ok mate thanks i will try that tommorrow but do you have any idea how the cap comes off ?? cheers starlybruiser :rolleyes:

its got 2 screws on it mate, easy peasy lemon squeasy

OK mate thanks for the help, i really appriciate it :lol: lets just hope i get her sorted tommorow, i cant live without her, ive had a falling out with the other love of my life over this ha ha but hey its easter tommorow so once she gets her egg she will be well happy while im out messing with the car lol, cheers starlybruiser :rolleyes: