Collecting 98 Starlet on Friday

Hi guys, I'm going from Belgium to England to buy a Starlet and bringing it back, eventually driving it back to Scotland once my summer holidays are over next month lol. I own a Celica right now but 3 weeks ago the engine decided to disintegrate itself in true fashion so needing a new daily for work and college once I restart, insurance are loving me right now with all discounts and upgrades lol. (from £185 a month with no upgrades to £44, quite nice for once)

My dad used to have a red one until he sold it when we moved to Bosnia so I remember these cars and always liked them because of that, I'm sure it'll make him happy to see one again as he had three of them I believe. (One got crushed by a Belgian APC so they bought him a new one) How are they with age? As in rust, the Celica was horrible for rust in certain spots such as just above the wheelarch, the sills needed welding and sunroof. (luckily this has no sunroof) I'm also debating making it a turbo, I have no idea about that though. I know on the Celica it is VERY expensive on the 7th gen to turbo and with little outcome unless you go all in like the Fensport one.

How complicated and expensive is it for the starlet and what would the gains be like? My mechanic skills don't go beyond calliper changing, brakes, oil change, plugs and suspension kind of stuff for now. There's a few things I know such as a corolla manifold and other bits and bobs like that, but do you need to open the engine up to upgrade parts or is it just a question of kitting the kit and ecu? This won't be for now if it does happen anyways as I'm probably gonna save up for a weekend car. This one in question only has 71k miles and an excellent mot history but one more thing, I know I'm writing a bible here and asking a lot so just pick and choose what you want to answer to lol.

On the GOV website carcheck, it says it's first registration was in August 1998 but first Registration with DVLA in February 2009? I got a cheap carcheck and found out it had 1 previous number plate change but that was in December 2018, it's given me the number plate that was changed but it's back to the original one when I buy it, I'm just curious if it means it was locked up for a decade or so? When did the DVLA begin? I'm from Belgium and only moved to Scotland in 2016 so I don't know how it works. :)

Edited by RWDM47