Hi guys, Today going to work i never noticed any difference in performance.. When leaving work i noticed that the car was VERY sluggish, felt just like someone had taken the turbo off the car and was just a 1.3.

Anyway.. i gave it abit of throttle on the dual carrageway and noticed that blue smoke was coming from the exhaust when i give it a little power.. Now im sure that this is the turbo on its way out which i really hate to say as ive only had the car 5 mins and the turbo isnt covered in the warrenty.. Checked the boost gauge and when my foot was down fully i was only getting just over 0.4 bar, im usually getting just over 0.8 bar / near to 1.0 bar on full throttle (think the japs altered the actuator and bypassed afew things to do this, not too sure what they did though).

So my question is this.. Whos the best guy to speak to about getting me a new turbo for the EP91? Also, Will my actuator have to go or should i just replace that too.. I still want to be running the high boost thing that the japs did (Running just over 0.8 bar), How will i set that up?

Any help is great :lol:

Regards

Rob

dude boosting to 1bar on standard turbo prob aint the best plus when your runnin standard mani and not having the correct fuelin mods. i have a turbo from the ep82 up for sale if your interested. and i would suggest you get your self a boost controller or summet like a apexi avcr would be a good investment.

p.s big jap car meet in hull on monday! dont miss it!

Maybe they put a bigger turbo on to run this sort of power mate, i dont know much about the car at the moment as i havent had it long.. What sort of psi can the stock tubby take?

It could also have the correct fueling mods mate but i dont know if it does or doesnt.

Rob

Maybe they put a bigger turbo on to run this sort of power mate, i dont know much about the car at the moment as i havent had it long.. What sort of psi can the stock tubby take?

It could also have the correct fueling mods mate but i dont know if it does or doesnt.

Rob

i have never seen such poor advice than on this forum.

the stock turbo will take a max of 1.1 bar.

you do need to have the correct fuelling mods to do this though. i.e, a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, and a Fuel Cut Defender at the very very least, and get it setup on an rr.

you will also need a new manifold, as the restriction in runner 3 on the stock manifold will kill the piston and rings in cylinder 3. meaning you will have to rebuild or replace your engine. which is costly.

you may already have an fcd seeing as the ecu will hit fuel cut at 0.85bar, or if your really lucky an aftermarket ecu.

first i would check all boost pipes and hoses, for splits and any form of leaks

then

i would do a compression test and make sure its not the engine.

then providing all was a ok, i would replace the turbo.

Much appreciated for the reply/advice sx turbo.

So basically If i want to run 1.1 bar i will need a FPR and an FCD, aswell as an uprated manifold, then get it properly setup/mapped etc?

Tbh, Im not willing to go as far as that just yet as im still getting used to the car itself and would prefer to do afew minor modifications first but which are beneficial :lol:.

I havent seen any sign on an FCD as yet mate so hopefully i could have a good aftermarket ECU but I will have have a look at the weekend and see whats hiding under the carpet, There's probably all sorts as its got some nice moddest parts from when i bought it.

What sort of mods do you think i would need to run 0.8 bar or around there?

Basically, Id like to have a similar amount of power as what i had but to obviously run it safely without detting etc. Im guessing ECU and BC would be a good start? What about injectors?

Regards

Rob

hey dude just take your glove box out and check the ecu its only 2 or 3 screws and then you can have a gander at the ecu, by the sounds of it you may have a aftermarket ecu or a second motherboard to your existing ecu or simply just a fcd.

but till you know the spec i'd turn the boost down because like stated at 1 bar with the standard mani your going to be doing a rebuild pritty quick, especially with no fueling mods known to you.

Having the stock mani at 1bar will not blow a piston, maybe if you ran it like that for 10years, but i've not ever heard of it blowing a piston!

It may warp/crack the head, but it won't blow a piston.

Also, you dont need to unbolt anything to check the ecu. just drop the glovebox down, and squeeze either side together (its just resting on rubber caps) and the glovebox will drop down and point to the floor, revealing your ecu (if you have a glanza, tha is).

Having the stock mani at 1bar will not blow a piston, maybe if you ran it like that for 10years, but i've not ever heard of it blowing a piston!

It may warp/crack the head, but it won't blow a piston.

ok smart arse.

i was running 1bar on stock mani and just an fcd for 1 week, and because of the heat build up, i cracked piston 3, and destroyed the rings.

so yes a piston was blown.

i wouldnt comment if i havnt had first hand experiance.

I'd like to back up eck here, for 2 main reasons, 1. eck is a well known and helpful member on here and 2. you come accross like a bit of an arse also.

I ran 1.1 Bar with a Stock Mani & CAT in place. I had a GReddy Front Mount and E-Manage set up. I made 183hp with a 175ft/lb. My Car was also never set up on the rolling road ;-) Mapped on the Road by an amature. I did however have a power run on a Rolling Road and I was told she was running well, slightly rich top end but it wasn't enough to cause serious damage.

I ran my engine like that for a year before I sold the car, the ONLY thing that happened was my Manifold cracked on Number 3. My Engine didn't go BANG, My piston never Exploded and the car ran like a dream! 2 Years on and the car is running fine (Atlthough the E-Manage has been sold and the car no longer runs a bar with a front mount)

In your situation running 1 bar with just a FCD on a Top Mount obviously ment you were blowing in hot air increasing your intake temps and by not adjusting your fueling properly you were likely to have been running lean meaning the engine went BANG.

I PERSONALLY thing FCD and RRFPR are the work of the devil and I would NEVER "tune" a car with these. Using Piggy Back ECU's or Stand Alone Units are the way to go if the stock ECU cannot be adjusted.

yep and you be right.

if you have the car tuned on stock mani then your engine will last a lot longer,

if you dont have any fuelling mods, and run that sort of boost, then your engine will go bang in a mater of no time.

and i agree that just an fcd and rrfpr is not the best way to tune. BUT it's safer than not having any fuelling mods at all.

im not denying that ecksjay may and may not know his stuff, but telling me that 1bar on a stock mani will not break your piston/rings, is rubbish. as i have first hand experiance of this.

im sorry if i come accross as an arse.

But Running 1bar on a Stock Mani is possible with the correct supporting mods.

Your pistons went bang due to in-correct supporting mods. That was my point bud :D I would rather run a car at stock boost than try and "tune" it with a FCD and an RRFR. Fuel Cut is there for a good reason :lol:

yes that was my point.

rob 300zx says that as far as he knows, he has no fuelling mods.

so i said at the very very least he should get an rrfpr and an fcd.

but if he wanted to do things properly then a mani, and some form of piggyback ecu will be best