wierd thermostat problem

hi guys,

i recently bought a 94gtt the temp gauge was reading cold all the time and smoking a little, so i flushed an bled the rad and replaced the thermostat with a standard starlet one and the gauge is now dead centre and the idle revs have dropped 400rpm, however the car now uses more fuel rather than less has variable performance and has a rougher idle!

i'm well confused, can anyone help?? :)

hi guys,

i recently bought a 94gtt the temp gauge was reading cold all the time and smoking a little, so i flushed an bled the rad and replaced the thermostat with a standard starlet one and the gauge is now dead centre and the idle revs have dropped 400rpm, however the car now uses more fuel rather than less has variable performance and has a rougher idle!

i'm well confused, can anyone help?? :)

maybe the engine needs to be retimed to deal with your new and working thermostat.it could have been adjusted and timed according to the old thermostat causing the engine to be cold and idle high.mine had to be readjusted after the new thermostat went in and head gasket done 2 days after the work was done.nothing major

maybe the engine needs to be retimed to deal with your new and working thermostat.it could have been adjusted and timed according to the old thermostat causing the engine to be cold and idle high.mine had to be readjusted after the new thermostat went in and head gasket done 2 days after the work was done.nothing major

never thought of that!...an i'm canging the cambelt soon, is it worth changing the timing or is the standard 10 degrees ok?