Possible future EP owner.

I'm currently driving a Honda Jazz 05 1.2 and it just isn't fast enough for me! But anyway, I'm seriously considering buying a Starlet maybe before/after Christmas so I'm doing early research so I can decide whether I want to or not.

How much should I pay for an EP82/91 with decent mileage (What do you guys consider decent? because I'm thinking around 30-50k)

How much is road tax a year?

What's the economy like?

Is it really high maintenence because it is a turbo?

What things should I look out for if I'm looking for one?

What common problems are there?

How reliable is it? Since I'm having to talk to mother about the car and she'd rather me fork out a little extra on a newer car because of safety reason/reliability. Also since I'm coming from a Honda, I don't want to be forking out extra just to get the car going.

I did have a question as well about how much I'm expected to pay for insurance but I did a rough quote and got a quote for around £1300 (mods declared: exhaust, induction, tints, lowering. alloys) @ address in Nottingham. I'm 21 with 1 NCB. Which I think is pretty damn cheap! Considering I'm near that for half the performance!

I'm currently driving a Honda Jazz 05 1.2 and it just isn't fast enough for me! But anyway, I'm seriously considering buying a Starlet maybe before/after Christmas so I'm doing early research so I can decide whether I want to or not.

How much should I pay for an EP82/91 with decent mileage (What do you guys consider decent? because I'm thinking around 30-50k)

How much is road tax a year?

What's the economy like?

Is it really high maintenence because it is a turbo?

What things should I look out for if I'm looking for one?

What common problems are there?

How reliable is it? Since I'm having to talk to mother about the car and she'd rather me fork out a little extra on a newer car because of safety reason/reliability. Also since I'm coming from a Honda, I don't want to be forking out extra just to get the car going.

I did have a question as well about how much I'm expected to pay for insurance but I did a rough quote and got a quote for around £1300 (mods declared: exhaust, induction, tints, lowering. alloys) @ address in Nottingham. I'm 21 with 1 NCB. Which I think is pretty damn cheap! Considering I'm near that for half the performance!

Hi mate,

expect to pay around £3000 for a good ep82 ( I paid nearly 5k for mine 2 1/2 years ago but it was completly standard grade 4.5 with 28k on the clock), but mileage isn't generally important tbh as these are quite old you should buy on condition. I would rather buy a slighlty higher mileage car thats had work done to it (cambelt etc) than buy one with fewer miles but have to shell out £**** within a few months.

Fuel is fairly good if you don't boot it everywhere, full tank should see anywhere between 200-250 miles.

Reliability is very good being a toyota. turbo should be allowed to warm up before and cool down after driving though. as far as safety is concerned, well, you do get a seat belt!!

Also take into consideration that if you want to modify it then buy one with some mods on it, does work out cheaper!! If I bought another one the first thing I would do, mod wise is uprate the standard shitty actuator, best £50 or so you could spend on it! :p

£1300!!! ;) is that fully comp? when I was 21 it was £620 tpft with 3 years no claims.

Drop a k20a engine into your jazz ;) if i ever write my ek9 off that is what i will be doing, buy a jazz and putting the engine ect into that.

Haha yeah, I've been looking into that since it was done on a bright pink one in Malaysia. No can do unfortunately since it'd cost too much to get an engine and get it fitted. Plus the extra parts I'd need to shell out on top. And insurance would probably kill me as well.

Hi mate,

expect to pay around £3000 for a good ep82 ( I paid nearly 5k for mine 2 1/2 years ago but it was completly standard grade 4.5 with 28k on the clock), but mileage isn't generally important tbh as these are quite old you should buy on condition. I would rather buy a slighlty higher mileage car thats had work done to it (cambelt etc) than buy one with fewer miles but have to shell out £**** within a few months.

Fuel is fairly good if you don't boot it everywhere, full tank should see anywhere between 200-250 miles.

Reliability is very good being a toyota. turbo should be allowed to warm up before and cool down after driving though. as far as safety is concerned, well, you do get a seat belt!!

Also take into consideration that if you want to modify it then buy one with some mods on it, does work out cheaper!! If I bought another one the first thing I would do, mod wise is uprate the standard shitty actuator, best £50 or so you could spend on it! :p

£1300!!! ;) is that fully comp? when I was 21 it was £620 tpft with 3 years no claims.

So if I find one around 40k/50k then it's a good chance that the cambelt/oil etc has changed? (What would actually need changing anyway?)

What are the chances of the turbo going kaboom on me? I don't want to buy one and then have the turbo go kaput on me 3 months down the line and I'm going to have to shell out extra to get a new turbo.

What is an actuator?

And £1300 is fully comp. That's addressed at Nottingham. If I had it addressed at Manchester (my home town) it'd cost me over £2300! And I meant to say I'm 20, I'm 21 in September.

Is the car alright on long journeys? because I've heard all these stories about turbos in general that it sounds like it'd be a nightmare to own one.

Jazz's are mint. There are two fantastic ones in Manchester that i see everyday on the way to work. A blue one and a pink one. I'll get some pics sometime.

And i've just noticed your from Manchester. Where abouts bud? Im from The Bury/Whitefield area.

Bourkey

welcome. are you in notts? im in notts

an actuator is a part of the turbo that opens the wastegate. the stock ones are pretty weak and can struggle to hold boost.

nothing wrong with them on long journies really as long as your not on full boost for hours which you wont be! lol

ct9s which are on the starlets are very good turbos and reliable at stock boost pressure and have regular oil changes.

Jazz's are mint. There are two fantastic ones in Manchester that i see everyday on the way to work. A blue one and a pink one. I'll get some pics sometime.

And i've just noticed your from Manchester. Where abouts bud? Im from The Bury/Whitefield area.

Bourkey

Hahah yeah the blue and pink one. Always parked outside that takeaway in Prestwich?

My parents house is in the Radcliffe area, literally next to the Asda down Radcliffe New Road. I drive a black Jazz with white 6 spoke rims. Has a type r look to it.

welcome. are you in notts? im in notts

an actuator is a part of the turbo that opens the wastegate. the stock ones are pretty weak and can struggle to hold boost.

nothing wrong with them on long journies really as long as your not on full boost for hours which you wont be! lol

ct9s which are on the starlets are very good turbos and reliable at stock boost pressure and have regular oil changes.

Yeah I'm in Notts for Uni @ Trent. Living literally on the corner of the QMC.

Ahh I see. Looks like I need to start reading up on turbos and the engine bits. Any recommendations of pages for a good read especially for the newbie types for me?

Hahah yeah the blue and pink one. Always parked outside that takeaway in Prestwich?

My parents house is in the Radcliffe area, literally next to the Asda down Radcliffe New Road. I drive a black Jazz with white 6 spoke rims. Has a type r look to it.

Yep they are the ones. Tasty looking beasts aren't they!!!!! I haven't seen the ink one in a couple of weeks but the blue one is still there.

Yeah i know where you mean. I have a friend who works in that Asda. How often are you up here then?

If you get a Starlet/Glanza we are going to start a good little Manchester gathering. There was none up here a couple of years ago.

Bourkey

Yep they are the ones. Tasty looking beasts aren't they!!!!! I haven't seen the ink one in a couple of weeks but the blue one is still there.

Yeah i know where you mean. I have a friend who works in that Asda. How often are you up here then?

If you get a Starlet/Glanza we are going to start a good little Manchester gathering. There was none up here a couple of years ago.

Bourkey

I'm usually in Manchester on the odd weekend. I should be back there towards the end of June since I'll be home for the summer. Would be nice to have a view of your starlet and have a chat about 'em since I do want to get as much info as possible.

Just that the thought of wanting to upgrade e.g. fitting new exhaust and induction could have an effect on the stock turbo, thus having to upgrade that as well to cope with the extra power. Sounds quite expensive to me.

Guest Enzo

hey dude il send you over some basic guides that should bring you up to speed on the ep ;)

when you can could you please fil in the rest of your profile and location fealds please

welcome to uksc :p

I'm usually in Manchester on the odd weekend. I should be back there towards the end of June since I'll be home for the summer. Would be nice to have a view of your starlet and have a chat about 'em since I do want to get as much info as possible.

Just that the thought of wanting to upgrade e.g. fitting new exhaust and induction could have an effect on the stock turbo, thus having to upgrade that as well to cope with the extra power. Sounds quite expensive to me

Yeah come and see me and Mark and have a peek at our cars. Whenever you like bud is no problem (as long as im not at work of course) There is lots bits you can do to the cars as you will see when you see us.

Give us a Pm when your back in town mate

Bourkey

hey dude il send you over some basic guides that should bring you up to speed on the ep ;)

when you can could you please fil in the rest of your profile and location fealds please

welcome to uksc :p

Thanks man! I was just about to read it!

@ bourkay

Yeah I'll hit you with a PM when I'm back in Manchester. Would love to have a ride in it just to get the feel of them again (I've had a ride in my friend's one but that was a while ago and can't remember what they're like)

@ Enzo

T'was a good read that. Pm'd you for the extra info!

Thing is, when I do get a Glanza, I'm probably only going to be doing up to stage 1 but I read on the tgtt forums about boost creep. Wouldn't increasing the volume of air being sucked in and the volume of gases exiting cause extra strain on the turbo/waste gate? Would that mean I'd have to upgrade the wg/turbo?

I'm totally clueless on turbo engines and the jargon behind them.

I was clueless too bud. i've learnt so much on here!!!

Bourkey

Yeah I've just started to learn a bit more about turbos. I knew they were a lot of work but didn't know they were that much work!!

You guys know of any websites that can give me more info about car engines in general? And more info about the different parts of turbos and set ups information? e.g. fuel/air ratio information, running lean etc.

you should try to get down to a meet or something dude. the knowledge you can pick up with banter is unbelievable.

all the guys on here are dead helpful and would he happy to answer your questions.

haha sounds like a plan.

But come leaving time, you'd all be leaving me in the dirt with my 75bhp 8v Jazz ;) :p

I wish March would come sooner! (That's when I plan to get one), so doesn't hurt to get some pre-research done before hand!

hi mate

are u wanting to buy standard or modified

might be selling mine soon if your interested, fully standard and mature owner (29 years old) only owned by me in the UK since it arrived.

I'd really love to but haven't got the money at the moment.